22 - Mortality and Requiem - [END]

~*~

Fléctere si néqueo súperos Acheronta movebo

-

If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell.

~*~

22 – END

THIRD PERSON POV

The descending blanket of grief is thickly overshadowing the graveyard. A group of individuals huddled around a wooden box over the final resting site. All of them stood in silence, reminiscing about the times when they had made their lives infinitely better.

A person stood sobbing into the warm embrace of a mother. It was the site after a Greek tragedy as the casket was lowered into the ground, the weight crushing all their hearts. Everyone stood to throw roses into the gaping hole that was to follow, they each tried to fill the hole.

To be taken so young should be a crime. But there was nothing anyone could do, even the certain individual knew it was helpless. They were gone. Forever.

The priest said his ending verses before blessing the grave. Eulogies had been said before about how they had inspired them to pursue their dreams, to live in the moment because you never know when it might be your last.

Everyone dispenses from the site, wanting to forget what happened but the events were forever in-grained into their souls. His mother left Zach to his thoughts with a final squeeze.

Ace, Vi and Cortez stood across from him. Their heads bowed before her grave, memories of her flashed through their heads as tears streaked their cheeks. Eli had been their sister, she would always be in their thoughts no matter what they were doing. They all made their way over to Zach, each offering silent comfort. Zach's was sure his pain felt nothing like theirs, they had all known her longer to form a deep bond. Ace squeezed his shoulder as he was passing, while Cort and Vi just nodded towards him. They thought that it was best to leave Zach by his own, to say his own goodbye in peace.

Tears stream down his face his sense of emptiness growing. Pain, anger, and sadness all emotions present in his eyes at once. It was a day for sorrow, a day he will never forget. Zach's gaze littered to Eli's name engraved on the chunk of stone, a hole gasped from their chest.

Someone he cared about deeply had been ripped out from under his feet. Lying six feet under the sole of his shoes. Everyone else had accepted Eli was gone but they refused to accept the facts. He couldn't believe it. Eli was the most skilled person he knew, there's no way she could have been killed this way. But it was hard to deny when the evidence was straight under him. In a way he was lucky, the shot aimed at him had hit the equipment behind him, but Eli. She wasn't so lucky. After the shot had hit her she plunged into the icy river below the warehouse, just in time for the police to shoot the seven leaders on sight. He had seen it all on the monitor, each blow a hit to his own chest. Her sacrifice saved his life, his family's life. He would never get to thank her.

With another sob threatening in his throat the final words anyone would be enthralled to hear escaped, but this was not the time to be filled with happiness. He couldn't even make himself be happy on his 18th birthday.

"I love you"

The eight letters were whisked away with the wind, whispering the words throughout the world. Zach stepped away, turning his back on the person he could have had a future with. By he didn't have a choice. If only she wasn't dead

If only...

ELI's POV

I watched all this take place from the tree line, my heart hurt in my chest. I'm the reason for all their suffering and it wasn't a good feeling. I've known this was going to happen from the beginning but they didn't, this was always how this had to end. It was best if they all thought I was gone forever, save them the pain of knowing me. The look in Isaacs eyes when he said goodbye, when he said I love you will always be etched into my brain.

He'll move on, find someone more worthy than I ever was. My friends would move on too, I would be a mere story that they would look back with sadness and happiness. Convincing myself that this had been for the best was the hardest.

I saved their lives, by focusing all their attention on me they no longer felt the need to go after Zach's parents. Everything that I had done to this point had been leading to this, the gangs finally leaving them alone. While I worked in secret to bring them down once and for all. To end everyone's suffering and pain.

I'm on a one way ride to hell and didn't need to drag anyone down with me. Today had been perfectly planned out, making sure no one saw the shadow of a ghost lurking in the shadows. Remnants of a life that could have been. My white hair had been concealed in a hood it was too recognizable.

I'm probably going to have to dye it to a different colour before I left for good. A Buzz from my pocket interrupted my thinking. It was a message from the boss. Of course he was the only one who knew of the rouse, who knew I was still breathing.

Making sure no one was around, I left my hiding spot form behind the trees. Standing in front of my headstone truly was an out of body experience. My name engraved in stone, where it would remain forevermore. Reaching my hand out I traced my fingers over the cursive script.

It had gone off without a hitch that day, letting the gangs follow me to the rooftop. Getting shot in the chest when I had a bullet proof vest on. The ice cold water as I fell into the river to go with the current leading me to a warehouse where a car was waiting for me to drive away. My body was presumed to be washed away with the current out to sea. It was the perfect cover story.

My flight left soon I would be off with a new identity and a job to do. Taking one last look at the tombstone engraved with my name, I stood up and turned my back to my old life and headed towards my new one. No one would ever know I'm still alive, only a ghost flickering in the wind. I liked the sound of the new legend. They won't know I'm coming. I'll end them all.

Indespectus usque in finem

Indespectus until the end