19 - Fighting Chance

~*~

"Hoc est bellum"

-

"This is war"

~*~

19

The ride in the back of the van became awkward after a while. No one was talking while Zach was just staring at me, I'll admit it made me slightly nervous. I could only imagine what he was thinking. How could I betrayed him so badly? Where did the piercings come from? Is that her natural hair? I'd go for the latter.

Never mind Zach I wonder what his parents are thinking especially his dad. They've seen what the gangs have wanted first hand and what I have been protecting them from for months now. It was just shy of six months since Boss gave me their file. Although our plan had been in place way longer.

Vi had been silent in the front seat, they probably recognised him from the restaurant and put the pieces together. All this stress was getting to me. I needed a smoke badly but I couldn't light one up in the van. The reaction from the Hempstead's wasn't worth it. Or maybe it was, the nicotine called to me. If I could just put one in my mouth without lighting it perhaps I would be okay.

With that thought in mind I reached into the pocket, pulling out my carton of cigarettes. Ignoring the looks I got, I opened it before taking and sliding one past my lips. It soothed the need a little but it was still burning inside of me.

I could feel their eyes on the cigarette.

"I'm not gonna light it. I promise." I hold my hands out in surrender.

"Since when do you smoke?" Zach enquires

"Always have. I just hide it when I'm y'know?" I motion my hands to myself, mainly my hair and piercings.

"Great." He snorts "just great"

I shrug my shoulders.

"Did you light it? I'm choking for a drag" a Russian voice speaks from the front.

"No clappy, I promised Boss I wouldn't smoke in the van no more remember?"

"You did but I didn't" I chuckle.

"If I'm suffering you're suffering along with me." He curses in Russian towards me.

"We're here now anyway." He opens the door and jumps out coming round to the other door.

I stand up with the Hempstead's before he slides open the door plucking the cigarette from between my lips, reaching his hand into the inner pocket of my leather jacket pulling out a lighter and then lights it. I raise my eyebrow in question.

"You're not exactly going to light it are you? You've got a meeting with Boss" He smirks.

He replaces the lighter back into my pocket before patting it. I step out of the van leading them out onto the parking garage. I spy my mustang with wanting. Somehow for tonight a black van seemed less ominous...

They follow me out eyeing all the motorcycles and cars in the garage. I quickly take the cigarette from between Vis lips before taking a drag, holding it back out to him by my fingers. I blow the smoke out slowly through my nose.

"If I'm going to be facing Boss, I need the fresh air."

"Fair point" He nods, taking back the cigarette. "See you in a bit. Have fun."

"Oh thanks I will." I pat his cheek as I pass. "This way, ignore this idiot."

I begin walking in the opposite direction past Vi, I make sure the Hempstead's are following me as I put in the code for the door. Security is key around here. The Hempstead's are still silent as ever behind me. I had texted Boss in warning which I was coming in with them.