10 - Unstable Companions

~*~

"Semper Idem"

-

"Always the same thing"

~*~

10

Ace came home drunk, again. I hated to admit it but it's becoming more of a regular occurrence now and I didn't like it one bit. A few days have passed since the meet the mom, Zach and I have never been closer.

This was Aces second time coming home drunk this week, we really have to make him stop this. I couldn't bear to see him destroy himself. None of us could. He'd stumbled into the house around four, woken us all up by falling about and giggling. We all knew we have to do something about this sooner than later. Aces dad was a drunk and his mother a druggie. There is no fucking way we were letting him go along the same destructive path.

Cortez and Vi are struggling to haul him up the stairs to his room.

"How about you get his legs?" Vi suggests to Cortez.

He nods before seizing his legs awkwardly, making it easier to carry him up the stairs.

A few times I've had to do this by myself which is difficult, especially if it's Vi who's drunk. Ace usually just dumped down on the living room couch but that made it worse in the morning when he couldn't meet the toilet bowl in time. Guess who always ends up cleaning that?

"Why the fuck is he so heavy when he's so skinny?" Cortez cuts in.

"How the fuck should I know?" Vi hisses.

They both turned redder carrying Aces almost limp body. They also refused to let me help. How charming.

Between their heavy breathing and Aces mutterings it's hard to hear what he's saying. Aces words were slurring heavily, there's no point in giving a lecture right now. I doubt he would remember anything. I was thinking that he isn't just drunk, he reeked of weed and vodka. Oh Ace. Its Saturday tomorrow I was lucky I didn't have school.

After much struggling and grunting they got him past the stairs and down the hall to his room. I pulled his comforter down before the other guys dumped him on his bed. I shooed them away to their rooms with little arguments I could do this myself and be useful.

Taking Ace's shoes off and sliding the covers over him. Sliding off his glasses I place them on his bedside table before grabbing a glass from downstairs filling it up with water and putting it beside his glasses. Leaning down, I press a kiss to his forehead, running my fingers through his fiery hair before standing up.

A cold hand catches my wrist before I leave turning me as I stare into red rimmed green eyes.

"Stay." He weakly asks, hand limply holding my wrist. "Please" he manages a strangled plead.

I find myself giving in and nodding before he moves to the side, opening the covers. Ace always acted like a little kid when he was this bad, I couldn't say no when I knew he needed me. He was vulnerable, he always was when he's this drunk.

Ace is rather like me and never really talked about his problems but instead bottled them up. Climbing into the bed, I allow him to pull me close and bury his head in the crook of my neck, breathing heavily.

"If you puke on me in the morning I'll kill you." I attempt a joke but it's met with sniffles.

I felt a wet patch slowly forming on my neck, he was crying slightly. I hated weepy drunks but he's the exception. He cried for a while until I could hear soft snores being omitted from him, he's finally fallen asleep. Moving around slightly but not disturbing him I found a comfortable position and drifted off to sleep.

~*~

A groan awoke me from my peaceful slumber the next morning, I opened my eyes for a second confused. This isn't my room, there's an obvious male body lying beside me. Then it hit me about what had conspired last night. Ace. Drunk. Weepy. Clingy.

He has never been that bad when he's had a few but I suppose last night wasn't a particularly good night for him. I somehow managed to get out of the bed and leave him to his alcohol induced coma.

It isn't until a few days after that Ace is finally able to talk to us all again, I think he didn't want us to worry but that's all we were doing at this point. An intervention would soon be needed for his health, we have all three of us tried on separate occasions to get him to listen but no avail. Maybe as a group we would have more of a resounding voice.

That is only us hoping, hopefully he wouldn't push us away he couldn't keep being this way. With thoughts of Ace pushed to the back burner of my mind for now I began to focus on Zach. After meeting his mother I hoped our current standings didn't change, I don't think my poor cold heart could take it. It's enough for me now to be his friend and I'm determined to make it stay that way. I couldn't be falling in love when there were more important matters at hand like the rest of my mission. I didn't have time to focus on silly teenage angst and feelings, not when there were still dangerous people on the loose that were just begging to be killed. There's not been any recent attempts on the Hempsteds lives thankfully, I can always feel someone's eyes on me even if it's only for a second. Isaac has long since stopped questioning the 'weird occurrences.' However one time my wrist bandana did slip out of place slightly, if he saw he hasn't mentioned it. Now Michelle that's a different story... I'm kidding or am I?

Isaac's been improving leaps and bounds since us starting tutoring. Soon he wouldn't need my help and I would have to come up with some other excuse to be around him although that's unlikely with our now budding friendship. In the few short months that we've been meeting he proved that he could in fact be smart and less of a cocky bastard. What 's even weirder about the boy is his complete lack for social standings, by that I meant he's now noticing me in the halls of the school, talking to me even in front of his 'friends'. I know surprising right, I was no longer considered lowest of the low on the high school food chain now that the king has taken an interest in me. Platonically I mean, not that I wish anything more than that... who am I kidding of course I want it to be different but tough titty.

Really I'm serious. All though my new status has become the norm for the rest of the student body there is one who's a bit more reluctant at the idea, the one person who's a bit suspicious of Zach and I's sudden friendship. You can probably guess by this point as my life follows every rule in the cliché rule book. Dramatic pause for... Michelle... aka Zach's girlfriend. You didn't see that one coming did you? So cliché that it's sickening. I'm seriously thinking that this is a wattpad book, but then I would be having a lot of fourth wall breaks... ha-ha.

It seemed Zach's still unforgiving of the food chain as he walked up to my locker the following Tuesday. I sensed someone watching from a distance but thoroughly ignored it.

"We still on for tutoring after school?"

"Of course, why wouldn't we be?"

"I just... because I'm getting better doesn't mean I still don't want your help." Well this is a drastic change, he almost admitted to needing me. Plus he's adorable when he slightly stuttered, I mentally slapped myself ridding myself of the thoughts. God I have to murder someone soon.

"Did the Isaac Hempsted just openly admit he needed someone's help?" I tease, making his cheeks tint pink slightly. He's never blushed this much before. I found it endearing and unbearably cute.

"Shuddup." He mumbles clearly embarrassed. "See you after school in the normal place?" Without waiting for a response he speeds off down the hall speeding like Usain bolt would be proud of. I smiled softly to myself but still felt a strong gaze on me. Scrunching my eyebrows I looked down the hall into the fiery gaze of Michelle, it's obvious she is pissed or jealous. But like I do with most of my life choices... Fuck it.

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT

-batmankilledmycat

Indespectus ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें