"Ha." Raine deadpanned and then continued "Thanks," Raine shooed him out of the office with the wave of a hand. Fuck.

Raine's shaky hand picked up the receiver while her finger hovered over the button. She took in a deep breath as her finger made contact with it.

"H-hello?" She managed. Her mouth felt like the Sahara desert.

"Lorraine," a familiar cold tone that nearly caused Raine to shiver in fear broke the silence.

"Ma... how are you?" Raine asked, cautiously.

"I could be doing better," she sounded tired.

"Ma, you haven't called me in four years... what's happening?" Raine clicked the pen in her hand over and over.

"I need money Raine, I don't got 'nough to pay rent this month," she said quietly.

Raine sighed. It didn't surprise Raine, but she had an inkling of hope that this conversation was going to be different. After all, the last time they spoke, her mom had kicked her out of the house with hardly any time to gather her things.

"Ma, are you sober?" Raine spoke softly.

Silence.

"Raine, please just gimme the money, you're rich," she begged like her life depended on it. It stung to hear her so desperate.

Raine rubbed her temples in silence and then offered, "I can pay for your rent, just give me your landlord's information and I can write them a cheque directly."

"She only takes cash." her mom slurred.

"Ma, don't do this..." Raine begged as the lump in her throat grew.

"I raised you," the voice voice got louder.

Raine sighed, "I know, but maybe if you go back into that progra-"

Her mother slurred, "Y'know, it's one thing that you're a rug muncher. It's another thing smearin' your disgusting tendencies all over TV."

Raine's jaw dropped and her entire face burned as she clenched her fists. The words stung into her like the welts that were seared into her legs when she was a kid.

"Ma, please," Raine choked out, but her body knew better than to stay on the phone with the person who caused her pain.

Defeated, Raine put the receiver down as the tears slid down her face.

That's when the pile of used tissues began to overflow in the garbage for the next several hours. She couldn't risk just leaving the office in a fit of tears and let people see her that way.

Raine picked up her vibrating cellphone and read the text from Quin.

Quin yesterday: Did you see Chris yet? Is everything okay?

Quin yesterday: Raine? Hope you're sleeping with her or something. There better be a darn good reason you're not responding.

Quin now: Omg I can't see you tonight because Jimmy surprised me and is taking me to Greece TONIGHT! So terrified of the airplane though.

Raine sighed. She didn't have it in her heart to tell Quin how she really felt and damper his mood. Or even worse, if he got worried enough, there was a potential that he'd even postpone the trip. After all, he witnessed so much of the trauma her mother had put her through. It was, in fact, his home that she went to right after being kicked out. Raine could never do that to him.

Raine at 3:23pm: Chris is cool we talked about it, she kinda got mad and I dunno I want to try again with Stacy. Tell you more about it when you get back though. OMFG that's so fucking amazing! You've always wanted to go to Greece. You better snapchat me when you're there. How long are you gone for?