Tell them [36]

After dinner, Mark and Jack both insisted that they would help clean up all the plates and cutlery, wanting to be as respectful as possible. It had gone well, and Jack's parents had actually got to know his (boy)friend, Mark during their conversation. Luckily it didn't end up in anyone getting angry with anyone, telling them to "go fuck themself." Not that Jack's dad was really an angry Irish stereotype, but still.

However, there was something on Jack's mind. Something that he really wanted, needed to tell his parents. He wanted to tell them the truth, what Mark really was to him. He wasn't just some best friend like they had made him out to be. He was the love of Jack's life, and he wanted them to know that. But just the different ways of imagining how they could possibly react made him shudder. Would they hate him? Would they not talk to him anymore?

It was time to have desert, which was cake. (Not really being a surprise as it was Jack's favourite). Feeling shaky all of a sudden, with Mark, Jack helped carry the few plates of desert to the table, setting them down in front of the couple, before going to sit down themselves in their same spot.

At this point, it was when everyone was quiet for awhile. No one said anything and the only sound that could be heard was the sound of metal spoons lightly tapping at the plates, every time someone went for another spoonful of cake to put in their mouth.

"So," Jack's mother started. "How's your girlfriend, Sean?" She randomly asked, almost as if he had been reading his secret thoughts. Jack slightly flinched in his chair, being taken a tad off guard. However, his parents didn't seem to luckily notice as they dug into their desert. Jack looked over to Mark, sharing a nervous glance with him.

"What, uh... What do you mean?" Jack stammered, the sound of him being put slightly on edge, now obvious in his voice as it cracked right on the first word.

"You know, Signe? Don't you two live together?"

Oh, right. Signe. Jack remembered, last time he visited, he visited with Signe and told them all about her. Fuck... He hadn't even thought about that. What the hell were they going to think now if he told them the truth?

"We... We aren't... We aren't together anymore." Jack admitted, a small frown beginning to form on his lips. His parents went slightly wide eyed, their mouths agape. Jack could see what he could only assume was sympathy in their eyes, as they stared into his. Little did they know that he was perfectly fine, and had moved on a long time ago.

"Oh, Sean... I'm sorry about that... She was a nice girl." She sighed, upset for her son. But all he could do was shake his head, trying to dismiss any thoughts or ideas of him still being "heartbroken".

"N-No, it's fine." Jack stammered. "I'm fine, really good, actually... We broke up on pretty good terms..."

"Oh. So you're still friends?" His dad wondered. Jack just nodded, his mum, smiling.

"Well, at least there's that? But why did you break up? I mean, you seemed so in love with this girl, I honestly thought you were going to ask her to marry you one day. In fact, didn't you talk about it?"

"What?" Jack froze, bewildered as to what his ma was getting at. She rose her brows at him.

"I strictly remember you sayin' at one point that you thought she might have been the one. So, what happened?"

Fuck... Jack peered towards Mark, who didn't seem to be staring his way. Instead, he had a weird look on his face, like he was trying to process everything she just said. Shit! He never told Mark such a thing, just how close he was with Signe before they broke up and now he was probably going to be slightly irritated with him.

"We just... Had different interests." He tried with a shrug. "Uh..." He nervously cleared his throat. "Listen, mum, dad, I wanna show Mark around, seein' as I promised him I would." He lied, getting out of his seat. "So, come on, Mark."

Jack was already ready to leave, Mark then getting up and thanking them so much for the food. Before leaving the house, Jack let out a sigh of exasperation when he heard his dad say "You went and upset the poor boy." to his mother.

****

The walk was silent. Not a word between them, as they walked side by side together. Jack bit his lip, wondering what Mark had been thinking since that conversation at the table. But he had a straight face, one that was a little too hard to read, even for Jack.

"I didn't know you wanted to marry Signe..." Mark croaked, his voice dry and quiet, as they continued to put one foot in front of the other. Jack breathed out, closing his eyes for a moment, before reopening them and glancing at Mark from the corner of his eye.

"Well, it wasn't definite, or any time soon for that matter... I mean, what do you expect? I WAS livin' with her."

"Yeah but, I kinda wish you could have told me..." Mark grumbled.

"Told you what? It literally has nothin' to do with me and you, Mark. Nothing to do with our relationship."

"Yes it does!" Mark cried, stopping in his tracks. Jack stopped too, shrugging his shoulders.

"How does it? Tell me."

Mark hesitated, looking down at the floor, sadly. He stepped closer to Jack, taking his hands into his, gently holding into them as he continued to stare down at their linked hands.

"I just... I'm worried." Mark admitted, not meeting Jack's eye. "If you loved her so much to the point of wanting to marry her..." He stopped. Jack frowned.

"You think I might go back to her, don't you?" Jack finished for him, telling Mark exactly what he'd been thinking.

"That, or... You might just leave me for someone better..." The red head whispered. Jack shook his head, taking one of his hands free from Mark's and placing it under his chin, pulling it up so Mark was now looking him in the eye.

"Never, Mark... I love you. I promise I love you, more than anythin'..." Jack muttered, gently kissing Mark's lips, then pulling him into a hug, resting his chin on Mark's shoulder, as Mark buried his face into Jack's.

"...I was thinkin' of tellin' them... About us." Jack said gently. Mark's eyes widened a little.

"Really?"

"Yeah... I want them to know the truth. And I'm sure they'll be happy, Mark. 'Cause they like you, for sure."

"But what if they don't...?" Mark mumbled. Jack smiled.

"Well, if they don't accept me for who I am, and they don't accept you, just know that I love you, and always will." Jack replied. Mark thought for a moment, wondering if it was really for the best. But it was Jack's parents, meaning it was his choice whether or not they wanted to come out or not. Mark bobbed his head, pulling away, a small grin of confidence on his face.

"Alright... Let's go tell them."