Truth [12]

"Why did you have to do this?" Jack murmured to his computer screen, as he cupped his hands over his face. He heard his red headed friend sigh, as they were still having a Skype call together. Mark paused, just trying to calm himself down as he exhaled.

"Look, Jack... I'm... I'm sorry..."

"Oh, you're sorry?!" Jack cried, moving his hands away from his face, as he glared at him with frustration. "You know, it fuckin' sucks that I don't even have the balls to tell my loving girlfriend what happened. Not only that, but she's waiting downstairs for me for us to go out to celebrate Valentine's day! Why, Mark?! Why did you have to go and fuckin' kiss me?" He hissed.

"Hey, Jack, I told you I'm sorry. What else do you expect from me?" Mark grumbled. There was a long pause, before either of them spoke again. "Look, I know it was selfish and I know I shouldn't have but..." He exhaled. "You can't deny that you kissed me back."

"Yeah, but it never would have happened if you hadn't fucking instigated it! I'm not just your emotional punching bag, just because Amy broke up with you!" He snapped, causing Mark to flinch at his harsh tone.

"Jack! You ready yet?!" Signe's voice called, Jack looked away from the screen to answer back to her.

"I'm comin'!" He yelled, before turning back to the American with narrowed eyes. "I have to go."

"You have to tell her, Jack."

"Tell her what?! It's easier for you to say, when it's coming from your fucking mouth! I don't want to hear that bullshit from you!" He shouted, clenching his fists in annoyance. "Look, just... Just leave me alone..." He finished in a fed up tone, before ending the Skype call right there and then, seeing Mark's face disappear with a heartbroken expression.

I don't care... He thought. He has to know what he did wrong...

Calming himself down, he grabbed his beanie and pulled it over his head, before running down the stairs to pull on his sneakers and his coat. Signe's face lit up with a smile when she saw him, and Jack was blown away by the sight of her. She had her hair all nice and done up, obviously for the evening that they were gonna spend celebrating Valentine's day, and her make-up was very well done too.

"You look beautiful..." Jack smiled, as she bounded over and put her arms around the back of his neck.

"You do too." She joked with a giggle, before her face slowly formed into a frown. "Were you arguing with Mark just now? Is everything okay?"

"Eh..." He shrugged. "Everything's fine. It's... It's nothin'."

"Oh, well, okay! If you say so..." She replied, before sharing a kiss with him. "Anyway, let's get going, yeah?" She beamed, linking her hand with his, and he nodded without even a second of protest as she practically dragged him along like a half dazed zombie.

He felt so terrible.

He had to tell her the truth, about what had happened between him and Mark but he was finding it so damn difficult to even build up the strength to do that. What the hell was she going to say?! What kind of look was she going to have on her face if he told her? He really didn't want to imagine it.

Mark was right. Even if he hadn't brought on the kiss and tried to kiss Mark, he still kissed back without arguing. He probably ended up making out with his best friend for a full minute, or maybe even longer than that before he realized just what kind of situation he was in.

I'm a horrible person... I'm a horrible, horrible person... His thoughts haunted him inside his head.

You can't do this, Jack... You have to tell her.

As much as he was afraid of telling her the truth, he couldn't stand leading her along like this. Letting her talk him up, while he just pretended to listen whilst his thoughts were screwing him up inside.

Sometimes the truth hurts. And maybe, if she does get angry, he'll deserve it... He'll deserve to have his heart smashed into a million pieces for being such a shitty boyfriend...

Exhaling, Jack came to a stop, making Signe stop too as they were still holding hands. She rose a brow at him, clearly bewildered as to why they had stopped.

"What is it, Jack?" She wondered, properly turning to face him now. He frowned, looking down at the floor, his eyes no longer hidden by fake happiness and glee. The guilt, it was starting to show now.

"Jack?" She repeated, looking anxious. Jack gulped, as he tried to get his words out.

"Listen..." He croaked, as his whole mouth had gone dry. He saw a nearby bench and before saying anything else, he led them over to it and they both sat down next to each other in pure silence, waiting for Jack to speak again.

"There's... There's something I have to tell you, Signe..." Jack confessed. She slowly nodded.

"Okay...? And... That is...?"

Another pause...

"Signe... Mark, he uh... The reason why I was arguing with him earlier was because... Well, during the time when Mark had come to visit, and you were out of the house... He kissed me." Jack admitted with a huge amount of shame. Signe's breath hitched as he said that, but her face didn't contort into a look of unimaginable anger and it didn't look like she was ready to scream at him just yet.

"O...Okay...? W...Why? Why did he do this?" She questioned.

"Well... I assume it was because he was upset that Amy broke up with him... Obviously, I was there for him - I comforted him. I just, never expected him to... Do that because of it."

"I... see..." Signe frowned. She opened her mouth to continue, closed it, then reopened it again. "Jack, tell me honestly... When he... Kissed you... Did you stop it instantly?"

Jack hesitated. But, he shook his head, causing Signe to breathe out and put her hands over her face.

"I'm so sorry... I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner..." Jack whimpered. "I know I'm a bad boyfriend..."

"No, Jack. You've been an amazing boyfriend." Signe said, looking over to him as she tried to reassure him. "I mean... It sucks that this had to happen but... I assume that neither of you really planned it. Mark was happy with Amy, and then I guess things just took a weird turn... I can't say I'm surprised..."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, isn't it obvious? You and Mark have always been close, that's just a fact. Maybe you've never noticed it before, because you've never been with a guy but... Eh, what do I know?" She shrugged.

Another pause.

"Wait, so... Are you saying you're... You're not mad?"

"I am a little... Well, a lot. But I know you're a good person, Sean. And so is Mark. You guys wouldn't ever want to hurt someone on purpose. I know that." She said. "And I'm really bummed out that you had to lay this on me on Valentine's day but... I'm grateful that you told me the truth and that you didn't just hide it from me and go behind my back."

"I'm still so, so sorry... Signe, I love you, I really do." Jack whispered, entwining her fingers with his. She bit her lip in thought.

"I love you too, Jack... But... Maybe you just need some time."

"Some time?"

"To think things over. To decide whether or not that kiss with Mark meant anything to either of you, or whether it was more of a spur of the moment..."

Jack's eyes widened.

"You're... Asking me to choose?"

"Not right now." She said. "But, yeah. You have to choose who you want to be with, Jack. But give it time - think about it. Don't just go making a decision now because you feel like you have to..."