Remembering [35]

Jack couldn't express just how happy he was when he got to see his mother again. She had returned home from work, just as Mark and Jack were leaving the cabin. The look on her face, (which kind of looked like what a five year old would look like on Christmas), was utterly heartwarming.

It had probably been months, (or maybe even a year) since Jack had seen his mother or father. And here he was again, being able to stand in his ma's warm, kind embrace when they had come face to face to each other. The trio were silent, no one saying anything at this moment. Mark smiled, not wanting to say anything to ruin this wonderful family reunion.

"I missed you so much, Sean. It's so good to see you." She spoke, finally pulling back to stare over her son's face once more, almost as if she just couldn't believe how much he'd grown. Before he had moved out, he was pretty much just a beardless Irishman, shouting in his cabin all day. (Not that the shouting had changed).

But now he was grown up, out of college, continuing to do YouTube with a beard and a patch of green hair. (And not that his mother knew, but he was with the man he truly loved and knew he could be happy with). He thought he had done pretty well for himself thus far, and the look in her eyes, with the expression on her face, told him she thought the same. (Despite that one small detail of her not knowing he was dating a guy).

She turned towards Mark, seeming genuinely interested to be introduced to him. It was that look on her face, that look all mothers (or maybe even both parents) give when their child brings home a friend. It was a look that said, "nice to meet you" but sometimes you had to be careful as to not make it too intense, in case you just ended up spooking them, or just plain embarrassing your son or daughter in front of them. (Another natural talent that parents seemed to have everywhere).

"You must be Mark." She said politely, her voice being coated in an obvious Irish accent almost as gentle as Jack's (when he's not screaming). Mark nodded, his red fringe of hair swaying back and forth as he seemed enthused about finally meeting Sean's mother, but truth is he was nervous as all hell. Nervous he'd say something stupid, to make himself disliked.

"Yeah, that's me." Mark managed to say, without really even thinking about it. She bobbed her head, listening to his response.

"Well, it's nice to meet you. Are you two stayin' for dinner, Sean? Because it's been so long since we've sat down and had a meal together. And we could get to know your friend, Mark over here."

Jack thought for a moment, his blue eyes watching his mother's as they seemed to plead for him to stay. And he wanted to, he was going to. After all, the whole point of this visit was to get to spend time with them, while hoping all at the same time, he'd get his parents to know and like Mark. But he was certain his mother and father were not only going to enjoy his company, but Mark's as well.

"Of course! We'd love that!" Jack chirped, his mother smiling the biggest toothy smile in god knows how many months. All the American did was agree and nod, also beaming the cutest smile ever. Jack just adored how charming and polite he could be around certain people.

So, with food on their minds, they all went inside, being ready to feast on the meal that'd be prepared.

****

Jack was sure to help a little bit with the cooking, no matter how much his ma seemed to protest. No matter how many "Go relax, Sean"'s he'd get, he just wanted to help. Especially because it brought back the memory of when he used to help cook food for his parents a lot, because they were always so busy. So he just wanted to do this, because he liked being helpful towards his mother and it felt quite heartwarming, reliving those memories.

Meanwhile, Mark was sat in the room across, (the living room), with Jack's father and it seemed they were getting along quite well. He asked various questions, wondering how he met Jack (YouTube), how long he'd been doing it for (around 4 - 5 years), and just various other questions, Mark answering them all nicely and politely as possible.

"You're quite an interesting young lad." His father complimented Mark with a small nod. Jack smiled, hearing their conversation from the kitchen as he was helping to cut up food on a cutting board.

"What is it like in America then? You enjoy living there?"

"Oh, yeah. I actually moved to L.A in America some point during my YouTube career. I quite like it there, though sometimes it can suck a little, being really far away from friends..." He admitted. Jack frowned a little, feeling like he was talking about the situation with him and Mark, the fact that they live so far from each other.

"Oh, I see." Jack's father simply replied with a nod. He pulled a face, a look that seemed to be him thinking about old times. "I remember when Sean decided to move out." He sighed. "It just makes me t'ink of how much he's grown, y'know?"

Mark smiled, nodding. He remembered when he moved out, moving to L.A. His mom and his step-mom were extremely proud of him, but teary eyed. He grinned, being taken back to that time, thinking his father would have been proud of him. It kind of warmed his heart in a way, thinking back to several years ago.

Eventually, the meal was prepared and they were all ready to sit at the table, Jack next to Mark with the Irishman's mother and father sat opposite. It was then that they broke down into conversation. Mark smiled to himself, lightly tapping his foot against Jack's under the table. Jack glanced his way, a small grin then tugging at his lips before he focused back on his food.

Mark was glad he came here.