Chapter Fourteen: Bonds, Divorces and Apologies

Start from the beginning

“Alice. You are going to have to talk to me eventually.”

I rolled my eyes. “Please be quiet Ben. I am trying to focus.” I said, to him turning to face the front, as Mr. Jennings began to speak to the class about balancing equations.

“Listen Ali. I like you and you might not feel the same way about me, but you have to believe me.”

“Ben.” I hissed, “You made out with not only my best friend, but Holly is my cousin too. I am sorry but I don’t like you.” The kid was really starting to piss me off.

“James, Clair!” Mr. Jennings called out, snapping at us. “Stop talking and face the front.”

We both muttered a quick apology under our breath and faced the front. Luckily after that Ben stopped trying to talk to me as I tried to pay attention to what was left of this class.

*

I was standing outside the school doors five minutes after the bell rang waiting for Holly. We both had Gym last period but Holly told me to go wait outside, due to having to go pick up some assignment for English.

“Ready?” I heard as Holly came up beside me. I nodded as we both walked towards her car in silence.

Once we entered he car and I was seated with my seat belt was on, Holly turned to me as if asking me if I was ready to leave. I nodded my head and she put the car in drive and pulled out of the school parking lot.

We arrived at the gates of the Whitehouse, Holly parked the car. I made no move to get out, knowing that we had to sort out whatever was going on between us.

“My parents are getting a divorce.” She blurted out, looking at her hands that were placed in her lap.

“What?” I whispered.

“My parents are getting a divorce.” She repeated, slowly. “That’s why when you entered your room, you caught Ben and I making out.” She said, with a small smile on her face.

“Oh.” Was the only thing that seemed to be appropriate to say. Yes, my favorite aunt and uncle were getting a divorce, but I didn't really find that a logical excuse to go and make out with my bodyguard and friend, on my bed.

“I was crying, and Ben was the only one there to consult me and it just happened.”

I nodded my head slightly. I felt a guilt ash over me as I remembered what Ben had told me about him liking me. “Do you like him?”

She nodded her head, a small smile appeared on her face. “I do. I never stopped liking him, even when he did.” She spoke, softly a dazed looked appearing on her face.

I managed to give her a small smile. “I am happy for you.” I said, feeling even more guilty, that Ben is refusing to give up on me.

“Alice, I am really sorry if I hurt you in anyway. You know the whole making out on your bed and how I accused you slept with Gavin. It was wrong of me to assume, and invade your private life.” She said looking at me with sincere apology in her eyes. “I am really sorry.”

I gave her a small smile, “I am sorry too. I should have let you explain, instead of kicking you out of my room before you even had a chance.”

Holly let out a small chuckle. “Thanks, I am just glad things will finally be able to go back to normal.”

I nodded my head. “I should get going the guards have been looking at the car for the last five minutes, like it’s from another planet.” I said, motioning my head to the two guards who were by the main entrance staring at the car.