Confessions Chapter 34 To Die For Love

Confessions

Chapter 34

Would you die for someone you loved?

"Victoria," I turned and I felt myself glide across the ballroom as if I were merely floating on air. That's at least the way I would come to remember it. "So, good of you to come. How is everything then?" The voice was ever familiar and when my eyes finally took in the face, I couldn't dispel the shock I felt.

I knew I was just a passenger and that my emotions wouldn't be upon the face I looked out from but inside I was shivering. There draped across a gorgeous man's arm stood my mother. She was stunning and beautiful but so much more. Here there was happiness, a spark of sheer love could be felt between her and the man she was standing with. I felt a pang go through my heart. In all the time I had had my mother I had never once seen her look like that.

Victoria was speaking to her but I had completely lost the conversation as I stood inside that body. I took in the subtle gestures between the two. When the man looked at her it was with warmth. The look said so much more than I can ever begin to describe. Then I felt guilt, I felt terrible raging guilt when I looked at the two of them. It wasn't my own guilt but the guilt from the body I was standing in, but that guilt quickly turned to something bitter and cold. I couldn't read Victoria's thoughts built I felt her anger and resentment, her hatred, and her denial. This was what I had been brought her for and the truth which is rarely pretty was about to unfold before me.

I couldn't stop it, I couldn't even slow it down, I felt fear rise up in me. It was dark and heart wrenching. It hurt me but yet I watched the unfolding and listened to my hosts words.

"So, so good to see you, Brenna. So who might your most stunning escort be?" There was so much malice in her words, even as she spoke I could taste it on her tongue.

"Victoria, I don't believe you've met Lucian have you darling?" She paused looking up at him with a smile, "Victoria this is Lucian, Lucian, Victoria."

If I could have passed out I would have. Lucian, my god, it couldn't be but when Victoria looked into those gilded eyes of tawny gold, I knew. I looked closer and I could see Lucian in this man. There differences were only subtle but if you looked closely you could almost see that in the light his skin might glow. Lucian and someone who could have been my mother were in love. That's what he had meant when we had talked of soul mates. He thought my mother was this Brenna, that's why he wanted her. I had completely lost track but I could plainly feel that something was about to happen something, I would later understand as what it really means to love.

"Oh, but Brenna you don't have to introduce us for we've already met." Oh, shit this couldn't be good.

Brenna spoke with curiosity clear in her voice, "really, you must tell me all about it then. Lucian isn't from here, did you meet on one of your trips then?"

I saw the look of fear and anger pass through Lucian's eyes. It was a scary look one that even a blind man could see.

"Oh, no sweet Brenna you see your man here is an angel, an angel who shouldn't be here."

A look of amusement passed across Brenna's face. "Yes he's quite the angel isn't he."

"Of course he is," Victoria spoke but she pulled something golden from her gown and I couldn't stop it. Even as her body moved I knew what was to happen. That glint of gold became a small dagger and in it was power. An unyielding power of darkness and hatred. The blade slashed out in Victoria's hand. She meant to kill Lucian.

"It's not Natural for you to be here, you may have chosen to fall and live this life time and again but no more."

The air in the room seemed to still and any noise music or frivolity was gone in that one moment. As the dagger headed for his heart Brenna moved as swift as an angel stepping in front of him and the dagger pierced her heart. There was cold fury in Lucians eyes as he watched his beloved fall. Her reach out but a single word stopped him.

"No." Brenna spoke through a saddened voice.

I looked on with horror and hatred in my heart. Here I was to face her death once again. Even without her being my mother the resemblance was too much. I watched Lucian walk to her and take her into his arms cradling her as if she was a small child and he spoke loud and clear a voice full of anger and hurt.

"My Brenna will not die here today," his hand came upwards carrying a golden glow sealing her wound. There was shock in her eyes but before she could speak Lucian spoke once again. "You'll sleep my only love," with those words her eyes drifted shut and she slept cradled in his arms.

"Such a blatant display of powers Lucian, are you going to tell them what you are or should I let them think you a witch and burn you at the stake." Victoria spoke and the hatred seethed and boiled in her like a vile evil waiting to rise up. I could feel her smile as Lucian showed one look of defeat.

"I am what I am. I cannot help who I love and I am sorry I could not love you." As he spoke ebony wings that glistened like the darkest night erupted from his back and he floated upwards. When he spoke again, he spoke to everyone in the room. "I am Lucian and I have fell but only because I could not love one of my own but a mortal woman. I gave up my place in heaven for a few mortal years with her. I have fallen and doomed myself to a life of misery because now I'll have to leave her. I have shown her my power but I let her love me without truth." tears began glistening in his eyes. There was so much sadness and pain. It reverberated through the room.

"But now Lucian you seem to be under the impression that she's innocent in this. She was a vile temptress. She should not have tempted an angel and for that she shall die." Before Victoria could be stopped a small glowing ember flew out of her hand and struck Brenna in the back. With fear their faces everyone looked on as her soul was pushed from her body in a glowing blue orb.

"She may die here but you'll not take her soul." In one swift motion Lucian gathered the Pulsing blue orb, "she will live time and again until we can be together and those of you who bear witness will know it'll be you who can save us all or destroy us forever." He looked straight at me and you Victoria will suffer most for you did not take the time to understand why I couldn't love you but in time it will be clear and may be someday you'll be forgiven." He stopped as tears slid down his face, "you see Victoria, I should have been welcome here. Each and every person in this room is more like us than you think. They are all descendants of other fallen angels. If only you could have seen that sometimes the fall is worth what you get in the end."

I could feel her shock and fear as she stared wide eyed at Lucian, "but how can they be, they were all killed the fallen ones?" She was desperate and scared.

"No, they were just hidden among the mortals just wanting to live the lives they chose and now the price they'll pay for you ignorance will be your end." I felt a ripping sensation inside her it felt like I was being ripped in two. Everything started to blur but my last clear sight was of Lucian setting the pulsing blue orb free and taking his own immortal life. As, I felt the blackness I knew this was more than a visit through time. It felt like a long forgotten memory. I felt confusions as the scene crumpled like a picture, my eyes burned with unshed tears and I could only let the darkness pull me under and pray for the rising sun. As I felt the blackness tug I knew Victoria's life was being pulled from her and that if she pulled me with her it would be the end of all.