Confessions Chapter 32 Fairytale Destinations and Unknown Whispers

Confessions

Chapter 32

The Journals

Fairytale Destinations and Unknown Whispers

So we left the Bate’s Motel, Cole road with me and M.B. and Max followed us. I had no idea where we were going but I had a feeling I would know it when I saw it. I just followed my instincts and drove. I really had no idea what was ahead of us but finishing the journals was one thing that couldn’t be postponed and I had to let my friends in on my mom’s dirty laundry. I couldn’t keep anymore secrets from them, their lives were in danger because they wouldn’t let me face this alone, so no more secrets.

I don’t know how long we drove but when I saw the sign I knew that this was where I had been headed even before Cole and the others had shown up. I hadn’t expected to end up in Ashville, North Carolina. I still had no clue as to why I was drawn to this place, that was until, I saw the picture of Biltmore Estate. It was a fairytale mansion but that really isn’t what drew me here. The feeling that I had been here a lifetime ago was what had drawn me here. My stomach was bunching up in knots as we continued to drive, only this time there was a specific destination in mind.

“Call Max, let him know I think I know where we’re headed.” I told Cole reaching him my cell. Even though Max was right behind us I still felt the need to tell him.

I guess my expression said more than enough to get a concerned look from Cole.

“What is it Cat?”

“Biltmore Estate, it seems like that’s where we’re going to be staying. I don’t know how to explain it right now.” I said being honest, I really had no idea why I was being drawn here.

As, we neared the front of what could only be described as a fairytale mansion out of someone’s dreams, I realized there was no way they were going to let a bunch of teenagers just rent a room.

“Cole, what if they don’t let us in?” I asked my stomach a sudden case of nerves.

He held his finger up, it was obvious when I looked over at him that Max still had him on the phone.

“Good, good, I think that’ll work. I’ll tell her.” Cole spoke into the cell just before he looked over at me.

“Max has a plan. And I think the connections here just got a little more explosive.”

“Huh.” The nerves in my stomach twisted some more. I felt like an idiot freaktard at the moment but I was clueless about what he meant.

“When we told Kristen we were leaving to find you she and a couple others made some plans of their own. I don’t know how to explain it because it can’t be coincidence but it looks to me like this is the place where the truth is going to come out Cat.”

I was dumbfounded and I wasn’t really sure if I liked what he was saying but I was at least for now passed the surprised part. Kristen after all was part of Max’s destiny as Cole was part of mine. How it all played out from here was left up to us. We pulled in front of this gorgeous place, my stomach in knots and a feeling inside that said, “The truth will hold when the world is on fire,” and I guess that burning would start today.

I unclasped my seatbelt my hands were shaking and I felt really sick but not like the sickness that came from a warning just that deep down in the gut sick. The sick that comes from knowing that whatever lay ahead would be truth and damnation. I could see that not all of us where going to make it out of this alive. I’m not sure if it was a premonition but the truth in that one thought was eating at my heart and a word whispered like it was floating through time,

“Your life for theirs.”

It was a voice I didn’t know but it had a feminine quality to it and it sent cold chills over me. Those chills were dancing across my spine. Once, I might have put that off as my imagination but with things being as they were, I knew better. I hadn’t felt myself shiver outwardly but Cole took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“It’s going to be okay.” He squeezed my hand once more before he spoke again, “Let’s get the this show on the road.” He smiled my direction unbuckled and opened his door.

His confidence in me and the whole situation made me feel like a piece of chewing gum stuck on the bottom of someone’s shoe. We weren’t all going to survive this, I was sure of this and it would be my fault. It would kill me slowly when this was over and I knew it. If I survived and one of them died, I would never be able to face myself. I needed once again to think long and hard, about the future and where it was going to lead us, my friends and I. No matter how much I wanted to run it was clear to me now that they were part of this. It wasn’t my doing if I could run and keep them safe I would but it was not in my power to do it.

“It is in your power all you have to do is ask.” That very feminine whisper came once again interrupting my thoughts. I did not like this new voice at all. I just didn’t know if I should tell the others about it.