16; Protectors Counsel

Hangovers are the worst. I don't remember anything about last night but it was nice to feel something other than this weird numbness I can't get rid of.  I wanted to just hide in something comforting but I had nothing.  Like life, there's days that are up and some that are down. 

Today, just so happen to be a down.

 I thought of everyone I left behind. How they were doing. It hurt to think about them and I missed the shots going down my throat. 

 That night made me think of my first night I ever went out and did something like that.  Mason. The way he looked at me and how I felt like he cared...

"Dammit, Cassadee, I said to go out, not get wasted." Ammon shouted, only causing a shot of pain coursing through my head. 

I sat up and held my head, trying to get things to slow down.  I took the pills Ammon was holding out for me. I heard him sigh while I swallowed.

"I got a call from the government. There's a meeting you must attend with the super natural beings of protection. People are quiet excited to meet you. Come one, get up. It's twelve and it's a long drove."

I groaned and sat up. Once I had sobered up a bit, I went into the shower and stood for about twenty minutes. Once out a clean, I applied my makeup and walked out to decide what to wear.  Skinny jeans were a must at this point. I put on a gray v-neck. It was loose but comfortable. I put on a small jacket and boots. 

I grabbed the keys to Ammon's fire-bird and fled the scene. 

I had looked several times at the directions Ammon gave me.  With my sense of direction and my attitude, it was taking me a while. I was getting frustrated.  I groaned and finally came upon a secluded warehouse. There were a few expensive cars parked there and made this little one look like crap. 

I parked and started to walk. The sun being so bright and me being so hungover, I put my sunglasses. I opened the door and slipped in. A woman was standing there. She gave me a judge-mental smile and wouldn't look me in the eye.

I took her paper and walked in the conference room. 

A plain white room with a long table and chairs. Only one chair left. I could feel something though. My slayer senses... Something wasn't right. That and I felt safe. I should being in a room with protectors but I've seen things. 

"Ah, Miss Cassadee is finally here. We may start."

I could hear a growl. I looked up and met those eyes I fell in love with. It was like the first time looking into them in years. Those blue eyes with brown were looking right back at me. He looked sad and angry and hurt. I could feel him. 

I swallowed hard. Why was he here? Anger now filled me. He's the reason I left. No one could love someone like me and I find out he's like me? So, I've wasted my time. I looked up to the man in charge. He was going on about something and I decided to listen.

"...it's too high of a risk. We need to get rid of the new ones and stop the production of making more vampires. " The man looked to me. "How long have you been patrolling?"

I cleared my throat, "Only a day or two by myself. I've been out with my watcher."

Someone else caught my eye. The man who had made my life a living hell. My eyes glared at him and he was staring straight ahead, knowing I was there. He was on the right flank of the man in charge. 

Why is everyone I used to know here? 

Why didn't I know anything about this until now?

............................

"The meeting has ended. Go in peace."

I got up and followed everyone else's lead. I got out and started to walk to Ammon's car.

"Cassadee!" I whipped around to see Mason standing there. We must've stared at each other for a while because everyone had left already.  He walked closer to me. 

He was a arm's length far from me. The urge to run into his arms hurt. I wanted to so bad, I knew I couldn't. But, now he's something too so I guess that I could? 

"Why?" I asked him.

He scoffed, "Why! Why you? You left, out of the hospital. I come here months later and you're here, fine and dandy! But, nothing's fine, Cassadee! Dammit!" He was yelling.

I turned my head, not ready for this yet. I really didn't need the extra stress.

"Do you know how long I've waited for you? I thought everything was going great and for you to just get up and walk away? Did you even think about Manny or Damon? Or me?"

That was it. "Don't you put that shit on me! I did what I thought was best at the time!"

"What good would come out of that! You can't just run away from your problems!"

It got quiet.

"So, just please, please, tell me why you left me..." Mason whispered...

I didn't know the tears welled up fell down until I felt his warm, tingly hand wipe them away. He got closer. I looked back up to him as he came close. 

"I'm sorry, Mason. But, why didn't you tell me what ever you are?"

He chuckled humorlessly. "I couldn't just tell a human what I am. I don't even know what you are."

I sighed and looked back up to him. "I'm a slayer."

He gasped and looked into my eyes but didn't see anything but what was in his mind. I wanted to know so desperately what he was thinking. He was so in the thought. His hand would tighten on my face every now and then.

When he finally came to, he gave me a small smile. "I am a wolf. Alpha of the pack."

That made sense...

He swallowed and looked to me. "I've waited so long to finally have you back in my arms..."

With that, he came down slowly, glancing at my eyes periodically. Once he saw I wasn't going to move, he came down on my lips and we shared our kiss.   I whimpered, missing this. 

I missed all of it. 

"Mason, take me home."