15; Where I Should Be

Life here was now normal to me. Ammon was like a father and guided me through everything. I've learned so much.  Ammon is teaching me how to fight and defend myself. He's put me on a workout program and I've been gaining muscles. 

It's been a few months. Spring was making it's way towards me. I've missed Christmas and everything I used to look forward to. I haven't been out of this house. I'm scared. Ammon told me I would soon have to go out and patrol for vampires, what he's been training me for. 

I think about them all the time. Mason. Manny. Damon. Everyone. I am doing this for them. No one should have to live in fear and no one should have to know someone so different and weird. I will never be 'normal' again. 

I dressed into a black sports bra, black spandex shorts, and a loose Nike shirt. I put my hair up, and looked at the mirror. 

I had shed pounds. I was skinny but healthy. My eyes were coated with black. It felt necessary. my hair was up but I put more black in. I had this glare and it scared even me. My attitude was now hard. Nothing could change me. 

"Tonight. You will go out to the cemetery. Leave now."

I nodded and put on my running shoes. I grabbed a stake, what Ammon had taught me to use the best. 

I walked. I shivered and shuttered. I haven't been outside in months. I was also a freeze baby. I turned away from the lights and further down the alley, towards the woods. Trying to get warmer, I ran. I felt so much smaller and weird. 

I got to the cemetery, looking at the tombs. Some were big, some were small. Some were cracked and some looked new. I hopped the fence and walked around, cautious.

I turned to hear the sound of someone sniffing. I took them in and instantly felt a tingle go down my spine.

The man didn't have any eyebrows but the muscle was pushed down towards the eye. His eyes were a glowing yellow with red beading inside it. Empty veins popped over his head. His teeth were pointed and he wanted me. Ammon mentioned that all vampires will be attracted to me because of my scent. 

I smiled, finally feeling useful. The vampire lunged and I was ready. 

He matched my strength. I wasn't going to lie, it was a struggle. The vampire picked me up, and threw me into a tombstone, shattering it. 

My back ached, but I had to keep going.

He came back for more, and I stood up.  When he came again, I landed a punch to his face. Wanting to end the misery for both of us, I stabbed him there, turning him into dust.

I sighed. I got up and cracked my back. Something else was heard in the background. I turned but didn't see it at first.

Another pair of yellow eyes. But, these were brighter, and squinted. I turned to it, fists down at my side and my body open, begging for it to come at me. And, to my surprise, it did.

But, this wasn't a vampire. This was an animal.

A wolf. 

This wolf wasn't any normal wolf, this wolf was huge.

What was a slayer to do? I mean, I was supposed to defeat all evil and anything that wasn't human. What would happen if I let this beast roam around the town? Would it kill someone?

I launched the stake I had at the wolf, getting a loud, painful growl in response. He didn't turn to dust. I then, turned around and sprinted back to Ammon's place. 

There was nothing else for me to do here.

Faint;y, I heard some growls and howls in the wind. I wasn't about to stop or turn around for me to look. I was scared. I was overwhelmed with everything. I couldn't cope with this anymore. 

I slammed the door shut, subconscious tears running down my face. I slid my back down the door and waited for something to happen. 

"How was it?" Ammon asked coming out of the other room with a bowl of cereal in his hand. 

I took a breath, "Fine. I think I pissed off a wolf."

His eyes bulged but he kept his cool. 

"Well, I'll just have to get you some scent cover up or something. We'll work on bigger things."

I took a breath, trying to keep them the same.

"I need a drink." I said.

Ammon nodded, "That's a good idea. You should go out. I bought you some more clothes for that type of stuff.  There's perfume too."

More perfume, great. Note the sarcasm.

Ammon was big on perfume or deodorizing my scent. He bought many types of perfumes. He said that vampires would try harder to kill me if they could smell me. I didn't put any on today. 

I did though after my shower. I had put on a dress that was tight and low in every way. I wasn't sure what I was looking for tonight but I needed something. I put on big heels and tons of perfume. 

In this attire, I didn't feel comfortable walking down my streets. I didn't want anyone to find me, even though I knew I could hurt them more than they could to me. It was still a scary thought. 

I needed a club and I knew the right one: Zone. It was one that played everything fast beat and I could easily get a few cheap or even free drink there. 

That's where I feel I belonged: in a bar with men trying to get me to go home with them. 

This is where I should be.