Day 7: Lost Key

Stephanie digs through the kitchen drawer curiously. She comes across an old rusty key and pulls it out. It was small and pretty unremarkable. Stephanie closes the drawer and makes her way downstairs.

Flicking on the light, Stephanie looks around the basement. She makes her way over to the side room. The key slides into the lock like a knife through butter. She pushes open the door and her eyes attempt to adjust to the dark. She goes in a few steps and tugs on the chain she could see glistening in the middle of the room. The light goes on and Stephanie's pushed to the ground. She shoves her attacker off and scrambles to her feet. Grabbing the chair beside her she holds it in front of herself for protection. The person who attacked her was a female, about her age, with long, light brown, hair. She watches with wary curiosity as she regards Stephanie. Stephanie lowers the chair and looks at her. Almost as soon as Stephanie sets the chair down the girl hurries over and clings to the blondes legs. Stephanie stiffens a little because this was unusual, she had a naked girl clinging to her legs like a child.

Stephanie sighs and shakes her off. The girl sits at Stephanie's feet and stares up at her with curiosity. "Follow me," Stephanie says, in hopes that she listens. She walks out of the room after turning off the light and then she locks the door. The girl sits at Stephanie's feet, staring up at her eagerly.

Stephanie leads her up the stairs. Stephanie reaches the top and looks back to see the girl trying to crawl up the stairs on her hands and knees. She reaches the top somehow and sits beside Stephanie.

Stephanie sighs a little and takes her upstairs to her bedroom. The girl follows eagerly and as soon as they're in Stephanie's room the girl jumps onto Stephanie's bed and burrows into the blankets.

  Stephanie sighs and locks her door. The girl needed clothes, that was obvious. Stephanie yanks the comforter off the bed and the girl startles. Stephanie pulls her off of the bed and makes her stand up. The girl does so, looking wary.

   Stephanie digs through the dresser and finds some clothes. She helps the girl put a bra on and then helps her balance when she puts underwear on. Stephanie helps the girl into the pair of shorts and then helps her put on the tee shirt.

    "What's your name?" Stephanie asks. After helping the girl into some clothes she'd sat her on the floor to brush all the knots out of her hair.

   "B... Be... Becky," she answers.

   "Becky," Stephanie repeats. "Well Becky, I'm Stephanie."

    "Stephi," Becky says, smiling proudly.

   "That works," Stephanie shrugs.

   Stephanie continues to brush Becky's long, soft, hair. Becky was all over the attention.

   Stephanie braids her hair then teaches Becky how to braid because she was so excited by it.

   Stephanie's mom comes home and Stephanie hides Becky in the closet. When her stepfather gets home he goes down to the basement. He returns looking pale.

  "Did you go into the basement today?" He asks Stephanie.

  "Yes. I went and grabbed one of my movies," Stephanie nods.

   "Did you go into my study?" He demands.

   "No, you're study's always locked anyways," Stephanie huffs.

   "Did you go in my study!" He roars.

   "I didn't!" Stephanie shouts back before she storms off. She slams her bedroom door and locks it. Becky peeks out of the closet and crawls over to Stephanie. Stephanie watches her quietly. Becky lays across Stephanie's lap and closes her eyes. Stephanie smiles a little and leaves her be.

~~~

   Hiding a girl in her room was a lot harder than Stephanie thought it was going to be. Feeding her was one of the biggest problems, she ate almost as much as Stephanie did, which was crazy considering she was so tiny. Getting Becky to stay in Stephanie's room was also a pretty hard task, she was so curious about everything.

   Stephanie comes home after school and goes upstairs to her room with a box of goldfish crackers. Stephanie locks her door and opens the closet. Becky was curled up in Stephanie's comforter fast asleep. Stephanie sits at her desk and opens the bag of goldfish. Becky sleeps all afternoon and when Stephanie returns to her room after dinner she's awake and looking nervous. Her clothes were folded neatly in the corner and she was watching Stephanie warily. Stephanie reaches out but Becky flinches away.

   "Becky?" Stephanie asks, frowning in confusion and worry.

   She whimpers and Stephanie jumps back when she hears a crack. Stephanie watches, her eyes wide, as Becky's bones crack and shift. Becky starts sprouting fur all over her body.

   Stephanie states wide eyed at the wolf that was Becky. Becky was now a wolf that had fur as white as fresh snow. She approaches Stephanie, sniffing at her feet.

  Stephanie remains frozen, paralyzed by fear. Becky sniffs Stephanie's face before flopping onto the blondes lap.

   Stephanie looks at Becky in surprise. Becky rolls onto her back and licks Stephanie's face. Stephanie's door bursts open and her stepfather stands in the doorway. Becky jumps off Stephanie's lap and attacks her stepfather. Blood stains Becky's fur as she looks to Stephanie for help. Stephanie's stepfather was on the floor, completely motionless.

   Stephanie picks Becky up and runs down stairs. She shoves as much of what was in her stepfathers downstairs study as she can fit in her bag. Then she runs back upstairs and shoves her clothes into her suitcase and a backpack. She grabs a couple other things she needed as well as Becky's clothes and her blanket before she carries Becky outside to the garage.

   Stephanie puts Becky into the backseat of her car and shoves her bags into the trunk before she gets into the drivers seat and takes off.

   Stephanie drives all night long and Becky falls asleep during the drive.

   Becky looks up sleepily, blood still on her face.

   "So you're a werewolf?" Stephanie asks, not expecting a response. Becky didn't speak beyond saying Stephanie's name and her own. Stephanie takes her to a gas station and hoses her off behind the building. She dries Becky off and gets her dressed in warmer clothes. They get back in the car and drive down the street to a diner where they eat breakfast.

   Stephanie knew she could no longer go home but she was okay with that. She and Becky would figure it out. She just knew it.