Day 14: Ghosts

Bucky died during the war. Steve came to be Captain America.

He threw his bag down when he came back from the gym. Bucky picked up and carried it to the bedroom.

"It's not fair that you aren't here Bucky." Steve whispers, looking at the shadowy figure in the hall. Bucky shrugs and puts the bag outside the bedroom door. Steve sighs.

"I wish I was with you babe." Steve whispers. Bucky's features twist up angrily. He launches himself at Steve but turns to smoke on impact. "I'm sorry but I miss you." Steve sighs. He doesn't see Bucky for the rest of the evening.

"So many beautiful cities so many beautiful dames and I fell for you." Bucky sighs, leaning against the railing of the balcony in loose fitting pajama bottoms.

"Is that a bad thing?" Steve asks, watching him light a cigarette.

"Not at all." He smiles. Steve stands beside him.

"I don't want to lose you." Steve whispers softly.

"You won't lose me stupid. I'm almost as stubborn as you are." Bucky elbows him playfully.

"Yeah. You are." Steve sighs.

Steve woke up, he'd dreamt of that night for a reason. He just wasn't sure why yet. He wanders out to the kitchen to find several pieces of paper from the printer torn up and scattered everywhere. He didn't see Bucky, he wasn't surprised though. Anytime Steve made a comment about wanting to be with him Bucky got mad. Steve understood but still. He ate dinner up with the others that evening and when he returned to his own floor Bucky was playing with a ghost cat.

"Are you still mad at me?" Steve asks. Bucky shakes his head. Steve sits beside him. Bucky looks at him and Steve could see the brown of his translucent eyes and the blue tinge to his skin.

"Was it a quick death?" Steve asks quietly. Bucky looks away before disappearing. Steve sighs. Bucky hadn't told him yet how it happened. Steve only remembers him falling off the train. He curled up in bed thinking about the days when Bucky would lay beside him.

A scream tore from Bucky's throat as the railing gave way and broke. Down, down, down, Bucky fell, his arm smashed into a rock and white hot pain blinded him. He landed in snow and he couldn't breathe. He couldn't move either and could only stare at the great blue sky above him. It was days before he finally died of hypothermia.

Steve woke up panicked and cold. Bucky sat at the foot of the bed cross legged.

"Oh Bucky." Steve whispers. Bucky looks at his lap. Bucky moves to lay beside him. Steve doesn't touch him, afraid he'd disappear.

Steve was old and had long been retired. Bucky was always around, sometimes doing dishes when he could and helping out any way he could manage. Steve passed away peacefully in his sleep. Bucky hugged him as tight as he possibly could.

"I missed you so much." He breathes. Steve hugs him back just as tight, slightly tighter.

"I missed you too. I love you Bucky." He murmurs.

Bucky pulls away and laces their fingers together. Steve smiles at him and together they walk towards the light.