Chapter Twëñty-Ñïñë: Thë Pårëñts

The nurse came in and startled Josh. He groaned and lifted his head up. He fell asleep leaning on the bed. Josh was cuddling Zoey's hand. "You're good to go Ms.Dawson." She smiled. Zoey nodded. Josh looked at Zoey who was awake. "Hey baby." He stretched and said in his sleepy voice. "Hey sleepy head." She smiled. "What was that about?" Josh relaxed. "I'm cleared to go home. Or well leave." Zoey grinned. "Oh really?" His face lit up. "Mhm." She sat up. Josh helped her out of bed since she was already unhooked. "Ready?" Josh asked. "Yep." Zoey hugged him. She could tell Josh was tired. Zoey wondered if he cried himself to sleep because his eyes were puffy. "You okay?" She asked. "I will be when you're at the hotel." He said muffled. He sounded like he was about to fall asleep hugging her. Zoey rubbed his back. "How long were you up?" He asked. "Since like 5am." She answered. Josh stood up. "What? Why didn't you wake me?" Josh frowned. "You needed your sleep baby. Look at you, you're exhausted honey." She caressed his cheek. Josh loved the feel of her hands. He closed his eyes and held her hand. "I just don't like sleeping in hospitals." Zoey said. "I know." Josh rubbed her shoulders. "You gonna sleep when we get back?" He asked. "Yeah." She smiled.

Josh hugged her again while they waited outside for the uber. He rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes. She smelled great. Zoey wrapped her arms around him. Josh just wanted to cuddle with Zoey at home. No one else. No nurses. No interruptions. No machines and wires. No hospital. Just her and Josh cuddling in bed. Zoey was safe in his arms. That's all he wanted was her to himself. Josh held Zoey's waist close and tightly. She kissed his head as the uber arrived. "They're here Josh." She said softly. Josh groaned and they got in. He was all over Zoey. He put his arm around her and leaned his head on hers. Josh almost fell asleep until Zoey coughed. "You okay?" He sounded more awake than he has been. "Yeah yeah just thirsty." She laughed. "There's water and soda back in the room." Josh kissed her cheek. His kept his arm around her and laid his head on her shoulder again. He put his other hand on her thigh. Zoey knew he wasn't being sexual. She rubbed his hand as Josh closed his eyes.

They got to the hotel room and Zoey set her stuff down. Josh immediately collapsed on the bed. Zoey giggled. She took off her pants and put on her PJ shorts. "Josh. You gonna slip into something more comfy?" She asked. Josh got up slowly. "Mhm." He walked over to her. Zoey was so tired she was having trouble taking off her shirt. She got it halfway before giving up and walking to her bedside. Josh snickered and walked over. "C'mere." He said. Josh took off her shirt for her. "Thank you." She blushed. Josh hugged her. She smiled and hugged him back. "Please don't ever leave me." He said quietly. "Never." Zoey kissed him. Josh kissed her back. "Get a drink before you settle." He smiled. While Josh took off his pants and clothes, Zoey grabbed a water and drank some of it. She set it on her bedside table. Zoey went to put her tank top on until Josh gestured for her to not. "Hm?" She looked at him. "You don't need it. Come cuddle with me." He mumbled. "Y-you sure?" "Yeah." He smiled. Zoey set the shirt down and climbed into bed. Josh was quick to scoot to her side and pull her close to him. Josh kissed her neck and then nuzzled her wrapping his arms around her waist. "Sleep well baby." She rubbed his arms. "You too. I love you." Josh kissed her shoulder. "I love you too." Zoey smiled. "Always." She could feel Josh smiling like a dork. Zoey turned around and faced Josh. She pecked his lips and nuzzled his chest. They held each other so closely and tightly there was no way to separate the two. Just like that Josh was out like a light. Zoey soon followed after.

Zoey woke up hours later. She felt a lot better. She smiled big and got up. Zoey did her usual of brushing her teeth and hair. She looked in the mirror and smirked. Zoey had an idea to get Josh in a better mood. She quietly ran out the bathroom and grabbed her makeup bag along with one of Josh's shirts.

It took her an hour but Zoey finished. She knew Josh would get a good laugh at it. Zoey straightened her hair and put one of Josh's snapbacks on and laughed. She quietly came out and threw on some ripped skinnies and her combat boots. Zoey popped in her headphones and started jamming out while she cleaned the room a bit. She was in such a good mood, last night when she watched Josh sleeping in the hospital room, she realized how short life was.