Chapter 13

*Sam*

"Please, I'm begging you, for my brother's sake, convince her to come back with us." The vampire pleaded over the phone.

"I'm not letting her leave with you. Not so that you can torture her and starve her."

"But we don't! She chooses not to eat!" There was a pause before Jane continued. "She's not eating, is she?"

I sighed in response. Kenzi wasn't eating. She needed to go back for her sake but I couldn't let her go. I didn't want her to go.

"Please, Sam. Alec needs her as much as she needs Alec. They're soul mates."

"Soul mates? I'm not letting my little sister go back to a castle full of vampires. Good bye, Jane." I hung up the phone and ran a hand through my hair.

Kenzi needed to go back but I didn't want her to. It's been weeks since she's eaten and she's been having the nightmares. Seth has been distracting her from everything but she needs to be with Alec. He'll help her get better, he will fix her. I hope that he takes care of her more than I have.

"Kenzi!" She walked in with Seth following. I took a good look at her face and saw her cheeks sunken in. Her eyes were dull and no longer sparkled like they used to. She was skinny, and just looked sad.

"Yeah?" She asked, a smile appearing on her face. A fake smile, she thinks that I don't notice but I do. I don't want to keep hurting her.

"You're going to go back to Volterra." I closed my eyes, almost fearing her reaction.

"What? No! You can't send me back, Sam! You can't! I don't want to go back!"

"Kenzi, look at yourself! You're not eating and you don't come out of your room unless Seth drags you out. You have nightmares at night and you cry everyday. I know that you're pretending to be happy and I don't want you to pretend anymore!" I looked up and saw her blank expression and I could tell that she was going to cry. She doesn't want to go back. Don't send her back. "You're going back, it'll be good for you. You can't live like this, it hurts me to see you like this."

"B-But then I won't see you guys ever again. They're going to lock me up in that cold castle forever. I don't want to be there forever." She looked down at her hands and a tear fell down her cheek.

"It's for your own good. You need to understand that, Kenzi. I don't want you to be hurt." I held her close to me as I told her this.

"I don't want to go. I don't want to go." Kenzi repeated this over and over as I held her, tears staining my shirt.

"You'll be okay, I promise." I kissed the top of her head and tried my best not to cry. My little sister was going to leave me. She's the only family that I have left, besides Emily, I don't want to make her go. "You'll be happy. He's your imprint, your blood singer, he loves you, he will do anything to protect you. You need him as much as he needs you."

"Please don't make me go." I sighed at her stubbornness and knew that there wasn't any way to completely convince her to go.

"You have to, but hey, I promise that it'll be okay." I crouched down to her height and wiped the tears off of her cheeks. She's so small, so fragile. You can't do this to her. Kenzi simply nodded her head before closing her eyes once more and allowing more tears to fall down her cheeks. "Go pack, I'll call Jane. You'll go in the morning."

I watched as she left the room, drying her tears with her sleeve. You have to let her go. Its for her own good. I reached for the phone and hesitated before dialing the number that Jane had called from.

After a few rings, she answered the phone. "Sam?"

"She's leaving in the morning. Don't hurt her." With that, I hung up and ran my hands over my face.

"Kenzi will be okay." I felt Emily's hand on my shoulder and I turned around to face her. She was so beautiful and then I had to ruin it by phasing too close to her. Its one of the many mistakes that I will never be able to fix.