Kai x Reader~Rejections! PT. 2

"Y/N! Look out behind you!"yells Jay.

"Wha- Oh! Thanks!"you shout, dodging a rain of arrows.

Ever since you told Kai how you felt, you felt like your fighting was...limited. Was that the right word? Whatever, you couldn't think straight. You knew how you felt, you weren't interested. But you knew that Kai felt the exact opposite way. He wanted you to stay safe no matter what, no matter what you said. He would push you out of the way of danger and it really ticked you off. You didn't need someone to protect you, you were the one who protects. At this moment you and the team were fighting a few bandits that were heading straight for a nearby village. This mission was supposed to be easy. WAS. For some reason the bandits seemed to have a device that could hack into all electronics within a hundred yard radius. And Nya just needed to join in as Samurai X. Just great.

"Nya! Power it down!"grunts Lloyd, getting hit right in the gut by the rouge bot.

"I-I can't! It won't listen to me! Dammit, I can't even get out!"she screams, trying to pry open the entrance.

"If we attack her, we could cause damage to Nya."states Zane, freezing the robot down onto the dusty ground."Y/N! Use your power!"

You nod and close your eyes, punching your fists together, feeling the air around you whirl and wrap around the robot. The others were taking down the bandits while you slowly were able to find a part of the entrance that was not so air-tight. The door started to bend with the strong wind.

"Y/N!"

You felt yourself being shoved to the side, your concentration was lost. You saw Nya escape from the hacked piece of machinery and run to the others' aid. The bandit that held the damned hacking device was standing on the robot's shoulder, a smirk appearing through his ski mask. You looked at the robot's left arm, your eyes glued to your teammate in the red gi.

"Kai..."you growl.

"Sorry, I didn't want you to get caught."he says, wincing as the steel fingers squeeze around his form.

"Aw what do we have here? A young couple?"snickers the bandit.

"We are not a couple."you state.

"Then your wouldn't mind if I clicked this button."he hummed and placed his thumb on a red button."One press and your 'acquaintance' here will be nothing but blood and cracked bones."

You glared at the man through the slit of you gi. You hands clenched by your side as you looked from Kai to the remote and back.

'This is just what I was worried about.'

"Y/N! Get the remote!"

"Get it and he's dead!"

"Y/N!"

"Y/N!"

"Y/N!"

"I don't care just do it Y/N!"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"you scream and create a gust of wind that blew the remote out of the man's hand.

But he pressed the button. You used your other hand to control more wind to keep the robotic hand from crushing Kai.

"Kai get out now!"you demand.

He wiggles free and you blow the remote toward Zane who quickly deactivated it. Lloyd knocked the bandit out and Cole and Jay tied the group up. You turned to Kai. It was silent throughout the empty wasteland of blood and robotic parts. You found yourself standing in front of him.

"Y/-"

His face whipped to the left as you punched him right in the jaw. Kai didn't even make an attempted to look at you in the eye.

"Stop getting in the way Kai. I don't need you."

~Time Skip~

'Just calm down. Calm down. It's over. He won't be protecting me anymore.'

You were sitting on the roof of Steep Wisdom. Your eyes closed as wind circled around you, picking up some dust and leaves along the way. You didn't feel any remorse for what you did. You protected Kai and succeeded in your mission. It was hard enough to reject him, now you need to give him an example for why he could never be with you. No one could ever be with you.

"I figured you'd be up here."

The circle of wind stopped and the leaves blew away and off the roof naturally. You turned to Kai as he sat next to you and stared at the night sky. The silence felt uncomfortable, but you didn't dare show it. But you were sick of it.

"Why did you try to protect me?"you ask, breaking the unwanted silence.

"Because I love you."

"Then stop loving me. I don't want you to protect me."

"I can't just stop loving you Y/N."he says, the passion in his voice even surprising yourself to an extent."I can't stop loving you. I can't stop protecting you. Whenever I see you in danger, I can't just stand there and let you get hurt."

"Even if I let you love me where would that go? A one-sided relationship is like no relationship at all. Face it. I don't love you Kai."you hiss, standing up from your spot on the roof."So quit it."

You started walking to the side door of the roof until you heard him speak yet again. But you weren't prepared for his next remark.

"Is it you don't love me? Or you can't love me?"

"...Both."

"If you really didn't love me, then why did you save me? Why couldn't you just let me die and be done with this?"

"Because you're my teammate. I need to protect you."

"And you're my teammate as well. So I need to protect you too. Y/N...you can't just protect people without having someone to protect you. That's what a team is for. We watch each other's backs. There isn't a reason why I shouldn't protect you."

"I don't need protecting. I can take care of myself."

"Stop being so hypocritical."his somber tone turned to one of anger and he took a step right in front of you, placing his hands on your shoulders firmly."I love you. I love you as a teammate. As a sister. As a lover. I love you so much I can't control myself when I see you in battle. I will always watch your back. You protect everyone. Now let me return the favor and protect you. I don't care if you don't want me to do it."

"..."

You were speechless. He seemed so...so sincere. It was like he actually loved you. You slap his hands off your gi and walk toward the door.

"Fine...we can make this work. But if either of us leave broken hearted, I'm blaming you."