Admitting Ain't Easy

Start from the beginning

"No!" She said to him over and over again when they tackled each other over her phone. "Conrad!!" She yelled for me and I felt time suddenly slow. Macy was curled up in a ball and had her phone in her lap while Xavier was on top of her, reaching for it. Then there was Journey who was barking frantically, not knowing what to do about his owner being attacked. 

My name left her stupidly perfect lips and she needed me for a minute. "Help me." She said to me seriously.  

I simply shoved Xavier off the bed and she stood up quickly, almost falling over on me and I caught her again. She steadied and Journey rushed to her side. 

"What is that all about?" Xavier demanded reaching for her phone, but she pulled away quickly. 

"I'm tired." She said, looking at the both of us so we'd leave. 

Her brother gave her an angry look and stayed where he was. "Zave, lets get something to eat." I told him, slapping my hand on his shoulder. 

He reluctantly followed me out of her room and we left to go to Mimi's Cafe. He was so angry he didn't even ask Macy to come along. "Why are you so pissed off?" I asked him. 

"She comes back to hide things from me?" He was driving with hands gripped onto the wheel. "What the fuck is that about? I mean, it's just a fucking phone!" 

I didn't say anything else until we got there. We sat at the bar and Xav ordered a muffin and a mimosa. I just got water and when I did, Xavier looked at me funny. 

I didn't tell him that I wanted to take in what just happened. When she called me for help. Me. When she fell onto me again, but soon she regained her independence, because that's what she always does. 

I just drank my water feeling refreshed at the idea that she in some way needed me, for a short while. And I silently promised that I would try to be there for her from then on. I wanted to maybe control my anger towards her, but if I did that I'd end up letting go- and it was too soon for that. 

So for the time being I sat with Xavier and pretended to be listening when he'd go on and on about how she was suddenly keeping things from him. And how she changed. I was too busy thinking the same thing. 

"Conrad, do you think she still loves me?" Xavier asked miserably and drunk when I drove us both home. 

It wasn't fair, I remember thinking. How he could so easily ask that question aloud, and I could only ask that to myself. But I knew the answer, and it didn't feel good to think about it. "Of course she does, stupid." I told him and he shut up, watching the trees as we zoomed by in a fascinated way. 

"I'm sure she still loves you too." Xavier said sleepily and my head snapped over to him, so fast I felt like it would fall off after I did.  

"What??" I asked him loudly, but he was falling asleep. 

"I said... I'm.. sure she loves you too..." And he was gone.  

"Goddammit!" I yelled, and hit Xavier's stupid car wheel in anger.  

Macy got outside as soon as I drove up. She had been waiting for us- for Xavier. 

"He passed out." I told her. It was dark out side and she looked like she got more sleep. 

Her eyes stared up at me happily and a small smile formed on her delicious lips. "How come whenever he's drunk, you're always the sober one taking care of him?" She asked me thoughtfully. It was like she admired me for it. I guess I liked that thought. 

"I don't know, it's your job isn't it?" It was a friendly question and she shook her head at me, then walked around to grab her brother. 

"Hey, idiot wake up." She told him, nudging over and over again, but in a soft way. I smiled secretly, at the way Macy showed up. The old Macy. My Macy.