Admitting Ain't Easy

I woke up to go to work, but Macy was still asleep. I told Xavier I was gone and he mumbled his goodbye. After work I stopped by the orphanage but Cory refused to see me. "Sorry, Con. He's still upset." Ms. Zoe told me with sympathy.  

I gave her a sigh and a nod, then headed back to my truck and was on my way home. 

Xavier was up and on the couch, drinking a beer. "Conrad!" He said in a manly way, he was cheerful too. "Will you do me a favor and see if Macy's car is still up front? I haven't seen her all day."  

I walked back outside, "She should be here." I said coming back in. 

"Her car is here?" He asked in surprise. I nodded at him and he sat up, then ran upstairs. I followed close behind, and was exhausted. 

Xavier knocked and pressed his ear to the door. Silence. "Macy?" Are you alright in there?" He said. More silence.  

Then we heard whining, and crying and Xavier opened the door. 

Macy was curled up on her bed, breathing deeply and slowly. She was asleep. It was Jourey who cried and ran down the stairs.  

"He probably has to pee, go let him out." Xavier told me. 

I looked after the dog nervously and heard him bark helplessly. I ran after him and let him out, having him do his business in relief and then he came to my side to just stare at me.  

His shit was probably as big as a horses and it made me wonder how the hell Macy cleaned that up. She probably hired someone or something, because that's a man's job.. Unfortunately. 

Journey's eyes made me feel bad about myself, but he eased up on me and I pulled out a cigarette and had a quick smoke. The dog didn't try to kill me, he actually rubbed his head against my hand, freaking me the fuck out. 

My hand froze above his head, but I did pet him. I rubbed his head and he closed his eyes in delight. Just like that I had some new liking for this guy; I felt close to him and he opened his mouth, displaying his sharp teeth in a smile and looked up at me. 

I sighed to him. "Let's go back to your owner, bud."  

Upstairs Xavier was talking to her and her voice was groggy, I saw Journey's ears perk up just by hearing her speak. "Looks like we've got a lot in common.." I muttered to myself and he smiled up at me.  

It was a small accomplishment, but it felt like it was really important. Her dog liked me. 

When I came in with her dog she smiled gratefully, and Journey struggled to jump on her bed and laid his large head on her lap. Her hair was a mess, but it didn't stop the fact that she looked beautiful in every way possible. "Thanks for letting him out." She told me, rubbing his head affectionately.  

I felt fuzzy when she was talking to me. I couldn't answer, I only nodded. "I'm sure you're awake now." Xavier told her, technically telling her to make him lunch or something.  

"No. No..." And she began looking around frantically. "Where's my phone??" She asked. 

"Under your pillow." Xavier took it out and she immediately snatched it out of his hands and checked it, scrolling and searching. Then her face fell and she laid back in bed. "Macy!" Xavier groaned and sat on her bed. 

She pulled her covers over her head. "I'm tired, Xav." She sighed, sounding like the woman she suddenly was.

"What's the matter?" He asked her, and ripped off her covers and fought for her phone. "What's so important about your phone??" He asked loudly and she groaned, pressing her hands to her ears.