Reality

The Stars were bright that night. The night sky as clear as I ever remember it being. I remember it like it was yesterday; the crickets being as loud as they usually are, and the sounds from moving cars and motorcycles just meters away from the two of us. All the airplanes that flew over head were usually low, too. It was a strange but good day in my book.

The day I realized who he really was.
----
Moonlight shown on our two bodies, inches away from each other. The silence between us was comfortable as we both thought about our lives.

Summer wasn't exactly my favorite season, but it was his favorite. I hated summer because something bad always happened then, mostly near the middle of it. Sure, I enjoy the beginning of summer, but then shit hits the fan right around the middle and through the end. He knows this, and he's always tried to help; only it never works.

I looked down at my feet, dangling over the edge of the garage roof. Being up here felt like being in another world to me. It was all different. It was peaceful.

My eyes wandered from my feet, to the roof shingles, to him siting next to me. The guy that's been there for me when no one else has; who always listens to my troubles and dreams, and never once interrupted when I told him about them. And that makes me wonder... Does he have anyone that would do that for him?

"Hey Pat-"

"Do you ever what you did to deserve the life you were given?" He cut me off. What I thought was supposed to be a positive question, wasn't. His voice sounded like it was about to crack. I looked at his face, tears threatening to spill over his eye lids. His gaze seemed distant and unfocused. I sighed, looking back out to the scene In Front of us.

"What do you mean?"

He took in a deep breath. "I mean anytime you do something good for yourself or some one else, you just get hit by a truck of anvils. Like anytime you're even kind of happy or having a good day, something has to happen to bring it all down." His hand brushed up against mine. I looked over at him a little confused. Tears were now falling from his cloudy blue eyes. "What have I done to deserve this life of constant suffering..."

I was shocked at the words spilling from his mouth. The person who I thought was so positive and happy, had a storm brewing inside of him all alone. A paper bag with a happy smile on it covering his tear stained face everyday. The Patrick I've been friends with for so long was a decoy. A positive decoy. But now, the real Patrick was showing himself to me.

I looked up at the night sky above us, taking his hand. "You've done nothing to deserve this," I whispered to him. "No one deserves the pain they feel and or go through, weekly, daily, monthly, or yearly. We just have to keep living our own lives to discover why we were put through it; but sometimes we never find the answer, and that's okay. We don't always need answer to the hard questions."

Patrick's hand tightened around mine. I don't know what's going through his mind right now, but I hope I helped him at least a little bit. After a few seconds of silence, my eyes wandered down to Patrick's face, the end of his lips tugging upward a tiny bit. I could see his stained cheeks in the starlight as he marveled at the sky.

"Hey, Y/N?" He said without looking at me.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for being my best friend."

And with that, my cheeks turned a slight shade of pink, and his head slowly ventured down to rest on my shoulder. I smiled at him and placed a kiss on the top of his head.

"Anytime."

Fuck I really need to start writing. I have like 3 or 4 other imagines that I started writing then got completely lost in, so I stopped writing. I should really get back to them...