Nobody's Around

Patrick and I have known each other for 15 years. 15 amazing, hard, long years, and for 5 of them, we've been dating. We started out 4 years ago, escalating to three years when we started living together in an apartment. At two years, he bought me a little Corgi German Shepard mix; and just last year, we bought a house. Nothing special has happened this year, so far.

Today was our anniversary. Not our relationship anniversary, but the anniversary of when we first met and became friends. He always loved doing something with me on this anniversary, no matter what plans he had, and today, he canceled everything, and told me to meet him at our first apartment we owned together.

I took my keys out of the ignition, and looked up at the building. A building that's 5 stories high, and that hasn't been seen by me since we moved out. I sighed thinking about all the memories we made here. All the good, and the bad. No relationship was perfect without fights here and there. Taking a step out of the car and closing the door, I made my way up to our original home.

The entrance to the apartment hasn't really changed since we left. Sure, there's a few more scrapes and dents, but it's still nearly the same. I took out the key Patrick gave me earlier today, and opened the door.

I shouldn't have been surprised to see an empty apartment, but I was. All that was left was pictures hanging side by side on the walls. My eye brows furrowed as I scanned over the pictures around the room quickly, until I came across a medium sized sign that told me to 'Start Here.'

My feet dragged me over to the first picture. Somehow, I was scared about what I was gonna see. My eyes focused on the photo in front of me. The picture was of me, my mouth partly open, eyes squinted shut, and tears falling from the corners. Under the picture was a little caption for it.

"Want you to cry 'cause you're laughing so hard tonight"

My eyes watered as the slowly made their way to the next picture. Again, it was of me. In this picture, I was standing on Patrick's bed with my extremely old hairstyle being shaken about while I played the air guitar.

"Playing air guitar alright; We're being who we are"

The next one is of me and Patrick during our week of scene phase. Patrick had his hair partially dyed green, a little bit of eye liner around his eyes, and a torn up shirt. His arm was around me with my wild black hair with pink highlights, wearing a black shirt the said 'haters gonna hate', and a small leather vest.

"Even if they hate that."

For the next 10 minutes, I looked at each and every picture hung up on the walls. Most of them were of just me, some old and some newer, and other had Patrick or our friends in them. By the time I was finished looking at each one, I had tears continuously falling from my eyes.

I had stopped in front of the very last picture. Probably the last picture Patrick and I took together. It was from our New Year's kiss, and everything about it was perfect. Under the picture was the last caption:

"We can do it like nobody's around."

"Do you like it, Y/N?" A sweet innocent voice called from behind me. I just nodded profusely, not having to look behind me to see him. Slowly, he walked up behind me and turned me to look into his eyes. "I love you so much, Y/N... To Pluto and back, always and forever. I'll be there for you through thick and thin, and protect you when you want me to. So... Will you do it like nobody's around with me for the rest of our lives?"

My eyes widened as Patrick slowly got on one knee. His hands dug into his suit pocket, and shakily extended and opened the ring box. It wasn't a big ring, but it was just enough for me. I never wanted him to spend a fortune on me.

As my hand covered my mouth, I nodded once again, afraid that if I said anything that my voice would shake so bad. Patrick's smile extended from ear to ear as he set the ring perfectly onto my finger. He got up from the floor, and pulled me into a deep kiss.

I decided to relive my childhood for a few days, and listen to some old songs... I got the idea from the song, and the gum commercial where the guy drew on all the wrappers.