Promises

"Do your promises even mean anything, Stump?" I spat in his face.

"They mean more than your empty promises," he hissed back at me. Tears stung the back of my eyes, but there was no I was gonna let them flow in front of him. A small smirk tugged at my lips.

"I showed you the world, and you showed me hell," I walked back words away from him towards his apartment door. "The next time you think of me, I hope your world crumbles." I turned around and walked out of his apartment.

-two years later-

I stood up from my seat in the small coffee shop I take refuge in almost weekly. It's such a peaceful place, and it's almost like none of the negativity on the world affects this place. I always walk out smiling when I leave. I don't think I'll be that lucky this time.

Right as I throw my styrofoam cup away, a familiar face walks in with someone in his arms. They walk in like they're penguins, waddling to the cashier, the man only stopping when he sees me. He whispers something o the girl, then parts from her, and comes over to me.

"Y/N... It's been awhile," Patrick says with a hint of sadness in his voice. I just nod at him, not knowing what to say. He sighs, and says more. "Can I just say... I'm sorry for what I said to you? Your promises were never empty. They always filled me with hope for the future, you know? I just wish we could have had a happier ending." I look up to him, his blue eyes shimmering. A small smile comes to my face, my eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"Patrick... Our happy ending was us ending." His face fell a bit at my words. "We're both happier now that it ended, yeah?" He slowly nodded his head. I kissed his cheek and walked away from him, waving to his girlfriend who is now walking towards him.

"Y/N! Wait!" Patrick jogged over to me and grabbed me by the shoulders, looking me straight in the eyes. "Just so you know, my world did crumble every time I thought about you. You were one of the best experiences I've had." He brings me into a hug, which I accept. Patrick pulls away, says good bye and jogs back over to his girlfriend. I turn around and walk out the glass door.

Right when I walked out of those doors,  the tears I didn't know I was holding in fell. I, too, wished we had a happier ending. A happier ending together. But, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.