•Heart On Fire Pt. 4

Start from the beginning

"Don't calling me that!" he roared, his voice loud and angry. You had never been on the receiving end of that voice, that tone, and it scared you more than the hand around your neck. He didn't remember you, didn't remember you as his wife, his lover, but he remembered you as HYDRA. You were his enemy. "Only she gets to call me that! You don't ever call me that!"

She? He did remember his wife, his [Name] but he didn't remember that [i]you[/i] were her. The two of you didn't match up, you were not the wife in his memories, not the woman he used to lie beside, you were the one that helped control him. How cruel, you thought, of Fate to let him remember but not recognize your face. You let out a chocked cry, your strength fading. Maybe this was the end you were meant to have...

"You're my James...my Bucky....and I love you-"

"No!"

"Please..." you whispered, shadows spreading across your vision. You tried to speak again, plead with him but you could only choke out a few, strained sounds. You raised your hands, pushed at his face but your strength was gone, your movements sloppy and your fingers fell from his cheeks. Your head lolled to the side and the last thing you saw was a flash of red, white and blue.

---

"Steve said he probably didn't recognize you," Sam said as he dabbed your busted cheek with an antiseptic swab. You just hummed in response, staring left of Sam's shoulder and through the window into the exam room where Steve and Bucky talked. Steve sat on a desk and Bucky stood, pacing at times. Steve shoved a hand through his hair and then pointed the same hand at Bucky, shouting something you couldn't hear. "He didn't know who you were."

"No," you whispered, "I think he knew exactly who I was."

"His memories are warped, you said so yourself. He remembers what HYDRA made you do, not who you are," Sam replied, very sternly, and stared at you until you looked him in the eye. Then he just smiled and you rolled your eyes, but a smile fought its way onto your lips nonetheless. You weren't sure what brought about this kindness from Sam Wilson, but you were grateful. Maybe the two of you would get along after all.

"Thanks, Sam," you said and went back to staring through the window, watching as the two men talked, both standing now, both taking turns pacing and both using more animated hand gestures than you'd ever seen them use. Bucky let his head drop to his hands and his shoulders slumped. The sight made your chest ache.

"Hey, it's what I do," he assured you and stuck a few steri-strips to your cheek before lifting your chin so he could look at the bruising on your neck. Dark, purple and swollen. "How's it feel?"

"It's alright. It'll be gone in a few days," you answered, looking down at him. "He remembers me, Sam, as HYDRA. Those are the first memories of me that came back to him. How will I ever convince him that I was good once?"

"You won't have too," Sam answered and straightened up, crossing his arms over his chest as he stood there, the two of you waiting together. "He'll remember and he'll listen when he's ready."

"What if he never is?"

Sam sighed and sat down beside you, pulling his arms over his heads and popping his shoulders and elbows before he slumped over with another heavy breath. When he was finally situation, elbows on his knees, he looked over at you. "Do you know Steve talked about you and Bucky?"

"He did?"

"Mhmm. He carries a picture of you, you know, in his wallet."

"I didn't know that," you shook your head and briefly wondered what picture it was. Was it your school picture? Or the ones you took down by the lake? Maybe the ones from Coney Island with all three of you making faces. "What picture is it?"