Chapter 26

"Your turn dear." Regina says in a quiet voice, reaching down to kiss Emma and pull her up.

"I... I don't really want too. I just wanted to give you some satisfaction." Emma protests, shaking her head.

"But Emma-" Regina starts, confused. Emma's never turned down sex. Ever.

"Just leave it be Regina." Emma says quietly, and goes into the washroom, closing the door.

Regina sits on the bed naked, completely dumbfounded. Her relaxed demeanor has disappeared, and instead she's as stressed as she would be in a difficult meeting. She pulls on the nightgown that was thrown on the ground and walks over to the bathroom door. Regina pulls on the sliding door but finds it locked.

"Emma, open the door." Regina says in a calm voice. But after waiting for a few moments, she gets no response.

"Emma. What's wrong?"

"Answer me, please."  

Time ticks by, and slowly Regina loses her determination. It's not like she knows how to pick locks anyhow.

"Fine, but if you want to talk I'll wait for you in bed." Regina gives in, and then goes back to bed. She puts her glasses on her bedside table and turns off the light. With a glance over at Emma's phone she has the urge to look through it. But instead of doing that she rolls over and closes her eyes. Even with the worry of Emma on her mind, Regina falls asleep.

~~~

Emma doesn't know how long she's sat on the bathroom floor, but she finally gets up and walks over to the door. With quiet hands she unlocks it without a sound, turns off the light, and then slides the door open. A small slit of moonlight cuts across the bed and Emma can hear Regina's light snoring. She walks slowly along the carpet to her side of the bed, and picks up her phone. She unlocks it and hopes the glow doesn't wake up her sleeping wife. Her thoughts swirl in her head and she goes to Lily's name.

Emma: You find a place yet?

Lily: I'm still looking, but I think I got something. I'm at the B and B until I get it figured out.

Emma: You mind if I come hang out tomorrow?

Lily: Of course I don't mind. What time were you thinking?

Emma: Well Regina will be home from work around five, so before then?

Lily: Are you avoiding her?

Emma: No, I just want to give her some space.

Lily: Well whatever, I'm in room thirteen. 

Emma: Okay, I'll be there.

Emma then locks her phone, pulls up the covers, and then falls asleep. 

~~~

Emma's alarm goes off early in the morning, and she slides out of bed after quickly turning it off. Regina doesn't even stir, and Emma gets into the shower. She showers in five minutes, and then manages to brush her teeth, put on some make-up, and pull on a slightly see-through blouse, and some jeans. With only ten minutes before Regina's alarm will go off, Emma goes downstairs, puts a Keurig cup into the coffee machine, and quickly stuffs a muffin into her mouth while she waits for her coffee to brew. She double checks there's enough breast milk in the fridge for Ava for the day, and then she slips on her boots, and is out the door.

~~~

Regina's alarm stirs her from sleep, and with a cottony head she sits up and swings her legs over the edge of the bed. The memories from last night come back to her and she looks over to Emma's side of the bed. It's empty, the covers pushed back and Regina's first thought is that Emma is feeding Ava. I didn't even hear her cry, Regina muses. I guess I slept quite heavily last night.