Chapter 25

"The line was long, and then I ran into someone I know." Emma says.

"Well, let's get going then. Who did you run into?"

"An old friend, no one important." Emma shrugs.

"Okay, that's fine. I just want to get home." Regina sighs, rolling her shoulders. But before they can drive out of the parking lot, Ava starts crying.

"She's probably hungry." Emma sighs.

"Can you feed her while I drive?" Regina asks, and Emma shrugs.

"I could try." She says, and then she twists around in her chair to grab Ava. Somehow she gets her, her baby blanket, and then manages to feed her in the car.

"I'm awesome." Emma says to herself, and then she hears Regina laugh.

"Yes, you are dear. Yes you are."

~~~

Unknown: Hey, what town do you live in again?

Emma: Who is this?

Unknown: It's Lily, obviously.

Emma: Right, of course. It's called Storybrooke.

 Lily: I'm looking for a place, do you know of any that might be for rent?

Emma panics for a second, and looks up from her phone. They are sitting in the movie room, watching something as a family and she's texting the girl who was her main hook-up for a little while. Her phone buzzes again and Regina glances over at her. Emma shoots her a smile and hopes that it doesn't look fake. Regina returns it before turning back to the T.V.

Lily: Uh, hello? I saw you read my message.

Emma: Yeah, I'm sure there are some places around. I mean I don't check because I don't need any.

Lily: Right. You have your wife and baby.

Emma: And our son.

Lily: Uh huh. Well I'm gonna come into town and check the place out.

Emma: Okay.

~~~

The next few days pass by without waves, and Emma spends her time with Ava, and her family. One day while out on a walk, Emma hears the screech of tires on the pavement and turns to look. An older, beat up blue car comes down the street and stops in front of Granny's. When a girl gets out of the driver's seat and looks around, Emma's heart beats a little faster. 

"Lily." Emma whispers to herself, stopping on the sidewalk. Lily slams the door shut on her car and then stomps into the diner. It takes Emma a few moments to get going again and decides to go say hi. Pushing Ava in her stroller, she crosses the street and awkwardly lifts the stroller up the stairs to get inside. Fortunately Archie comes over to help her and then she's inside. Pretty much everyone greets her with kind words, and she rolls Ava over to a table.

"Can I get a grilled cheese sandwich and a watered down iced tea?" Emma asks Ruby when she comes over.

"Watered down iced tea?" Ruby asks, cocking an eyebrow.

"It's too sugary for Ava, and it makes my stomach hurt." Emma shrugs.

"Okay, I got you." Ruby grins, and then walks away.

"The Emma I know has a rock hard stomach." Emma hears, and looks away from Ava and up at Lily.

"Yes... Well Henry didn't make me feel at all ill. This little one is quite the troublemaker on the other hand." Emma says, gently rubbing her finger against Ava's cheek.