Chapter 12

"If you were him, and some beautiful woman comes along and steals me out from under you, would you send them dirty looks?" Regina asks and Emma's mouth drops open. But before the blonde can speak Regina puts in, "I'm just playing devil's advocate."

"Well the devil's advocate can kiss my ass." Emma huffs, and then walks away.

"Emma." Regina tries to call her back but Emma just walks to the foyer, grabs her keys, and walks out the front door.

~~~

Emma drives around town for about two hours, and when she stops she finds herself at the edge of the forest. She checks her phone and finds four missed calls from Regina and just deletes them all. She knows she's not being paranoid, and that she has a reason to be concerned. After sitting in her turned off car for a few moments she gets out and slams the door shut. Breathing in the cold night air she shivers, and leans against her car. 

"I'm not being paranoid. I'm not." She says out loud. But as she finishes her sentence, a twig in the forest snaps. Her head whips toward the sound, and she looks into the dense forest. When she spots the figure of man walking towards her she lets out a short scream. 

"I don't think I'm that scary looking." Comes an accented voice as she scrambles to get into her car and it stops her. 

"Gold."

"Mrs. Swan-Mills." He says, and it sounds like he's mocking her.

"What are you doing out here?" Emma asks, crossing her arms as Gold limps closer. The low sunlight glints off his cane and she looks away from it to his eyes.

"I could ask you the same thing, but I believe neither of us want to answer that." He smirks, and she just scowls, knowing it's true.

"I just needed time to myself." She says, bending the truth.

"I was going for a walk." Gold informs her.

"I'm sure you were." Emma says. The night air is still around them as they stare at each other.

"I'm surprised you aren't home with your wife." Gold says, and Emma stiffens.

"Just because we're married doesn't mean we need to be together 24/7." She shrugs, trying to act nonchalant. 

"I feel like there might be problems at home." The man observes, and Emma laughs.

"What would you know about marital problems?" 

"So there are some problems."

"I never said that." Emma says.

"Whatever you wanna think dearie. Goodnight." Mr. Gold smirks, and then walks away.

"Bastard." Emma grumbles once he's out of hearing range. But before she can get into her car and drive home, she decides to wander through the forest. She grabs her phone, locks the door to her car, and begins on down the path that Gold came wandering in from. Before long she realizes there is no path and that she's actually beating her way through the underbrush. 

"How in the hell did he do this with that damn limp and a cane?" Emma bites out angrily. It's irritating as hell for her to try and do this late at night. After whacking some thorns out of her way she looks up and finds herself lost.

"Why the fuck did I do this to myself?" She groans, looking up to the sky for help. The leaves of the trees have grown together and she can't even use the stars or moon to help herself out of this mess. She looks at her phone, finds two more missed calls from Regina, and decides to pull up a GPS to help her. As she keeps walking what feels like further into the forest she spots light and picks up her pace. When a house comes into view her first thought is of a vacation cabin in the woods. After she knocks on the door to ask for guidance, she takes a quick look around. The jeep parked in the driveway looks oddly familiar but she ignores it until she notices the welcome mat.