Chapter 15

"Whatever. I didn't think you'd forgive him that easily but oh well." Emma sighs. "It's time to go, isn't it?" She says before Regina can say anything else.

"Yes it is. I am sorry Emma. Nothing happened I swear." Regina says one last time.

"I believe you. Let's go." Emma says, and then walks out of their bedroom.

"Fuck." Regina says, her mind whirling. She tries to think of who could have sent but knows it could've only have been Gold.

~~~

"Good morning everyone and welcome to the mayoral debate!" Tink announces, standing in the large meeting room of the town hall. There are two podiums set up for both Gold and Regina and then a spot for Tiffany to be able to keep referee. Sidney Glass sits in the front row with his camera and note pad as well as Emma, Henry, and other important townspeople.  

"Mrs. Swan-Mills and Mr. Gold will each make opening statements and then we will open up a question period." Tink tells the crowd and they quiet down further to listen. 

"First up will be Mr. Gold." Tink gestures towards him and there's a smattering of applause as the man limps to his podium from where he and Regina were sitting side by side. 

His speech slanders Regina and her mayoral skills left and right. Every time he opens his mouth it's to say something to insult Regina. Emma can see Regina's jaw getting tenser with every word and the brunette's hands are clasped together tightly. Emma is almost certain that Regina is going to blow her top the minute she opens her mouth to speak.

"Next is Mrs. Swan-Mills." 

Regina takes the stand and Emma watches as she takes a deep breath and then breaks into a warm smile. It's as if she wasn't there for Mr. Gold's speech at all. She speaks only about her accomplishments with the town, what she wants to do to improve the town, and then finishes off the deal with family stuff.

"With Emma and I expecting a child I know that being elected would make our lives, as well as the little peanut's, so much easier. I'm so excited to be here to answer your questions, and I hope that you'll elect me as mayor for this next term." She finishes and people clap for her. 

"Now the floor is open for questions." Tink says and stays at her spot between Regina and Gold's podiums. The two candidates stand there without looking at each other as people line up. 

"My question is for Mr. Gold." Says a small old woman. "I want to know what you will do differently than Regina."

"Practically everything. She's trying to hard to modernize everything and some things are better done the old way." He smiles and a few of the older members of the town nod like he's said something groundbreaking. A younger man steps up and clears his throat.

"Mayor Mills, you said you have a new baby on the way. First off, congratulations. I'm sure you and Emma are really excited." He smiles.

"We are, thank you." Regina returns the smile, and then gives Emma a quick glance. Emma nods to make Regina feel better even if she's still upset.

"You're welcome. Anyways, my question is: what are you going to do for the children in this town? It's a safe place but I feel like we need more kid friendly places."

"Thank you for bringing that up. I was in the works to bring an indoor play place for children for when there is snow or rain. I have also been talking to architects and construction workers about a new play structure as well as fixing the one by the beach."

"Sounds wonderful." The man smiles, and then walks away.

The two candidates get asked question after question and then some person neither Emma or Regina can recognize is next in line. Regina wracks her memory and when her mind draws a blank her internal alarm begins going off. She knows every person in this town and their business within it.