Chapter 22

"You used to irritate the shit out of me and now you just helped me with my baby." Regina laughs weakly, rubbing the bridge of her nose with her thumb and forefinger. Ruby bursts into laughter and hugs Regina again.

"I used to think you were a huge bitch, and I still do." Ruby grins, making Regina roll her eyes.

"Oh shut the fuck up."

~~~

"Hey Emma, how was your nap?" Regina asks as she comes back into the room, and finds her feeding Ava again.

"Just lovely until the little peanut started fussing. After feeding I think she'll need a diaper change though."

"I can do that." Regina offers, not letting her nervousness show.

"You can?"

"I have changed a diaper before Miss Swan." Regina retorts, making Emma laugh.

"Oh, Miss Swan? I haven't heard that one in a long time." She sighs wistfully. She finishes feeding Ava and then holds her arms out to Regina.

"Okay Madame Mayor. Show me your stuff." Emma taunts her. Regina takes one singular breath before stepping forward and taking little Ava into her arms. She looks up at Regina with those startling green eyes and Regina's heart swells even more than the first time she saw Ava.

"You're such a beautiful little girl." Regina coos. Ava gurgles happily as Regina unwraps the blanket and then proceeds with the diaper change.

"You're a natural, love." Emma smiles, wishing she had a camera to take a picture of this moment between the two of them.

"Of course I am." Regina boasts, covering Ava back up and then lifting her up to cuddle her.

"Well earlier you were afraid of her so I mean..." Emma trails off, watching as Regina's head whips back around.

"Excuse me?" Her face falls, and panic begins to take over.

"Oh come on Regina. I know you better than anyone else in this world. You were scared of Ava before." Emma shrugs like it's no big deal.

"Why are you acting like it's normal?"

"I was afraid of Henry the first time he cried. I panicked but fortunately I was still at the hospital and the nurse helped me through it. I'm acting like it's normal because it is." She assures Regina.

"But I don't have panic attacks. Young children don't scare me." Regina sniffs, lifting her nose into the air.

"You can say that all you want, but babies don't understand what you're saying. And they smell fear." Emma smiles, not caring about Regina's feelings in this moment.

"Babies can't smell fear." Regina laughs, beginning to loosen up.

"Oh yes they can." Emma returns the laugh.

~~~

"Okay Mrs. Swan-Mills, you have been discharged and you are ready to go home. Do you guys have a car-seat in your vehicle?"

"Regina should have put it in, yes?" Emma asks, sending a look towards Regina as she picks up Ava.

"Of course I did. It is in perfectly." Regina puts in as she picks up the diaper bag.

"Excellent. Well if you have any questions for us, give us a call. Bye!" Nurse Silver says, and then she leaves the room.

"It is so nice to be back in regular clothes, yes it is." Emma coos to Ava, but her statement is aimed at Regina.