Chapter 6

"Oh hush." Regina says, quickly sliding into bed as soon as she removes her bra and underwear. Emma curls into her right away, their skin brushing. Regina shivers automatically and can feel Emma smile against her chest.

"You love this, admit it."

"Never." Regina huffs, but embraces Emma anyway.

~~~

The two women try to keep the idea of a baby out of their heads as they prepare for the holidays. Emma doesn't tell Regina she has a feeling it didn't work and Regina doesn't bother to ask Emma. They spend their time at their jobs- the police department gets ridiculously busy around this time of year- and getting ready for the festivites. Regina spends a handful of late nights at the office and the two of them manage to split the schedule so Henry doesn't spend a ridiculous amount of time with babysitters. 

"Henry! Hurry up and help me before your mom gets home!" Emma calls up the stairs and she hears a muffled "okay" in reply. She walks into the living room and sits down on the floor. A few seconds later Henry comes clomping over to her and sits beside her.

"Are we wrapping mom's presents?" He asks, brushing his fringe out of his eyes. 

"Yes we are. So we need to be quick, okay?" She tells him, and he nods. They each wrap one for Regina and Emma wants to laugh at the wrapping they've put together. Hers isn't much better than Henry's and that leads to some clumsy wrapping.

"Well this is as good as it's going to get." Emma says with a smile and Henry shrugs.

"We're terrible at wrapping presents." He giggles as they get up and then take the presents over to the tree they have set up in the corner. The light from the fire glimmers off the shimmering ornaments on the tree and Emma looks up at the star at the top. Even after five years of seeing this star on top of a tree it still fills her with a heart-wrenching emotion. She flashes back to all of the shitty Christmases she had in foster homes and with families that didn't really care about her. 

"Mama? You okay?" Henry asks after he's set down the present he wrapped. 

"Yeah. I'm great kid." She smiles, pulling him in for a one armed hug. He rests his head somewhat on her shoulder and she leans down to kiss the top of his head. 

"When's mom going to be home?" He asks, and Emma pulls away to look at him. 

"Probably in a few minutes. Want to help me start supper?" Emma asks, and he nods.

"Why not?" He smiles. The two of them go to the kitchen and Emma hooks up her phone to the speakers installed throughout their house. She clicks on kitchen and living room on the control system and a few seconds later Christmas music is playing loudly. Henry smiles widely at the cheerful music and then he helps Emma get the food ready. 

About ten minutes later Regina walks through the door from the bitter Maine cold and is enveloped by warmth and the slightly off-key voices of Emma and Henry. The upbeat Christmas music makes her smile and she peels off her coat and leaves her bags outside her office. She makes sure to leave her heels at the door so they don't trail snow into the house. Regina follows her nose to the kitchen and finds her wife and son dancing around the room while somehow making food at the same time. She stands unnoticed at the threshold for a few moments, just enjoying the scene in front of her. When Emma sees Regina standing at the door in her tight blue dress -that she knows Emma loves-  the blonde's face lights up with even more joy. Henry runs over to hug her and Emma waits for her turn. 

The song changes and Emma passes Henry the spoon for him to keep stirring whatever is on the stove. "I'll Have A Blue Christmas" begins to play and Emma grabs Regina's hand, pulling her into a gentle embrace with a small tug. Regina gasps as she stumbles into Emma's arms but fortunately for the brunette her wife's arms are strong and Emma catches her easily. They sway to the rhythm and Regina is impressed with Emma's dancing skills. Emma hums along with the beat and when she begins to sing along with the chorus Regina's eyes slide closed with the comforting sound.