Chapter 2

"Regina? What are you doing?" She asks, and Regina looks up in surprise.

"Emma, I want to talk to you about something." Regina admits, and Emma's heartbeat picks up. She hates that sentence.

"Okay, what about?" Emma asks tentatively. When Regina just bites her full bottom lip, Emma notices what aisle they're standing in.

"Regina?"

"I want to have a baby with you."

"Where is this coming from?"

"I've absolutely loved helping you raise Henry for the past five years. It's truly been amazing. But you know I am physically unable to bear children. I just want to be able to raise one from the instant it comes into the world."

"So, you want to adopt?" Emma asks, and Regina looks like she's biting the inside of her cheek. Emma knows Regina has never done something like that before.

"Not quite." She gets out.

"Can we talk about this at home?" Emma blurts out, suddenly feeling like everyone is listening to their conversation even though there really isn't anyone around.

"Yes, of course." Regina immediately says. She drops what she was holding (a baby onesie), and then they go to the check-out with their items. The car ride is a tension filled silence and Regina holds the steering wheel hard enough to turn her knuckles white. Emma just picks at her cuticles as she looks out at the window at the town she now calls home. Once at home they unpack their groceries and then Emma sits at the kitchen table. Glancing at the clock she realizes that Henry will be home in about an hour. Regina sits down beside Emma, and places a glass of Sunny D in front of the blonde. Emma knows this is Regina's trick for making up for something; it almost always works.

"Start talking." Emma says, taking a sip of the sugary orange drink.

"I have been looking up different ways of having a baby, that's parts of both of us. I didn't want to do it behind your back but I was so nervous that you would shoot it down before I even had time to explain or show you my research."

"What research?"

"I actually printed some stuff up." Regina says, and gets up. She pulls a stack of papers out of a manila folder and puts them in front of Emma.

"This one talks about how we can fuse our eggs together, and then get sperm from a donor and the baby will be both of ours, and then part of the donor's, genetically. Or, we can put sperm with both eggs, insert it into a uterus, and then potentially have twins or just one baby that's one or both of ours. Or we could pick just one of us." Regina begins to ramble, her words coming out in a fast stream.

"Okay, slow down. This is a lot to process." Emma says, taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, and then takes another sip of her drink.

"Okay. I mean we obviously could adopt, but I'd rather try this first and see if it works."

"And you want me to carry the baby?"

"Well... Yes, that's what I was hoping."

"Okay."

"Okay, what?"

"Okay, I'll think about it." Emma promises, her mind racing. Another baby? Do I want to carry another child, after struggling at first with Henry? But Regina wants one so badly, it's clear. And I love Regina. I want her to be happy, and I'll have her support.

"Okay." Regina repeats.

~~~

Regina lies in bed that night as Emma snores beside her. She wonders if she shouldn't have even brought it up in the first place, and if it was a bad idea. Emma didn't show any excitement or interest in another baby. Regina tries to push the negative thoughts away and to go to sleep but it just won't come. When the early morning begins to roll around she falls into a fitful sleep.