Chapter 24

"Henry never does anything halfway. I mean we can obviously check but I feel like he's halfway to Boston." Emma shrugs.

"Graham and I will check town, you guys start driving." Ruby says.

"Thanks Rubes. Call me if you find him." Emma tells her. "Regina, let's start the drive to Boston."

"He's so grounded when we find him." Regina growls, getting into the car. She starts it up and waits for Emma to strap in Ava. "Also, FYI, I'm still panicking."

"Don't worry, I am too. I'm going to yell at him until I lose my voice."

~~~

"Any news yet?" Regina asks as Emma looks at her phone. They're nearly in Boston now, and the more they drive, the more anxious Regina gets.

"Nope. Ruby says that they've found nothing. I told them all of his favourite spots and he was in none of them." Emma says, pissed off. "I can't believe him. I'm so angry." 

"We need to bring him back, safe and sound. Then we will solve the problems that caused this mess." Regina tells her calmly.

"Fine." Emma spits. When they reach the city they begin to drive around.

"Where in the hell are we even supposed to look?" Regina grumbles. 

"Well, we went to this one park a lot when he was younger. I don't know if he even remembers it but we might as well try." Emma sighs.

"Find it on your phone, and we'll go there first."

"I still have the directions memorized, I'll just tell you when to turn." 

~~~

They stop the car right across from park, and both of them get out. 

"It's a big park, so you take Ava to the swings, and I'll look for him." Emma suggests, and then gets Ava out of the backseat.

"Don't you think we should look together?" Regina asks, sounding insulted.

"I need to talk to him for a bit alone, and then we can have a talk as a family. It's nothing against you babe." Emma leans over to kiss Regina, and then they walk across the street together.

"I'll come and find you if he's not here." Emma kisses Regina again and then scans the playground area as Regina takes Ava over to the swings. Seeing he's not there, she turns and ventures further into the wooded area of the park. Walking along the pathway, Emma sees an old couple sitting on a bench, passes a man walking his dog, and then a woman pushing a stroller sits taking a break on another bench. 

"Where are you Hen- There we go." Emma sighs when she spots her little boy sitting on a parkbench. He's got a massive donut in one hand, and a soda sitting beside him. With his backpack on the ground under his feet and his story book on his lap, she would think he was just waiting for his mom or something of the like. She walks over to him and sits down on the bench beside him.

"Come here often?" She asks, and he shrugs. Emma knows he didn't really hear her, and is on auto-pilot.

"I really love this park, I used to come here a lot when my son was younger." She tries instead.

"Yeah, my mom used to bring me here a lot and..." Henry trails off, looking up.

"Hi Henry." Emma says with a straight face, and a casual tone. 

"Ma..." He grimaces, shoving another bite of donut into his mouth.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Emma says, trying to keep her voice down. Two men walking past give them a look and then continue on when Emma looks up at them.