Chapter 7

"I have a feeling it will work. Maybe it didn't work the first time, but I have complete faith in technology and in you." Regina says once they've settled under the covers and Emma shuffles towards Regina, wrapping her arm around her. The brunette lays her head on Emma's chest and closes her eyes when she feels Emma press a kiss to her forehead.

"Thank you for always being here for me." Emma whispers.

"Always." Regina says quietly with an exhale. Both of them fall asleep with tranquil smiles on their faces.

~~~

"Do you have your overnight bag?" Regina asks Henry as they prepare to leave the house. Henry merely holds it up in response and Regina looks towards Emma.

"I have my stuff." Emma tells her before she can even ask the question.

"Okay, perfect." Regina claps her hands together and then the bus comes rumbling down the road. "Oh there's the bus sweetheart. Have a great day and we will call to check on you after supper."

"Love you kiddo." Emma says, and then ruffles his hair after hugging him. Regina hugs him as well and then he walks towards the end of the walkway to get on the bus.

"Bye moms! Have fun." He smiles and then he's off to school.

"We're both ready so let's get a move on." Emma says and then walks to the car. Regina quickly follows and gets into the driver's side.  The drive is familiar and comfortable even though Emma still feels bad about the appointment. She falls asleep a few minutes in and wakes up only when they reach the city limits. They walk into the clinic quietly and a nurse takes them to a room to get set up. Emma pulls on a hospital gown and then an ultrasound technician sets up the machine and begins to put gel on Emma's stomach.

"We're going to see if there is a fetus and move on from there, okay?" The technician says, and Emma nods, looking away from the screen. Regina stares only at Emma and they hold hands the entire time. The room is silent and Emma glances at the technician's face for just a second. His lips are pulled down into a frown and his eyebrows are pushed together.

"It's bad news, isn't it?" Emma asks, already frowning in return.

"I'm going to get Dr. Guinevere, pleased don't move." He smiles, and then leaves the room.

"I told you it's bad." Emma squeezes her eyes shut.

"It'll be fine." Regina whispers comfortingly.  A few seconds later the technician comes back with their doctor and she takes a seat in front of the machine.

"Let me take a look here." Dr. Guinevere smiles. She grabs the probe and moves it around on Emma's stomach and Emma only looks at the doctor. The woman has the same frown on her face as the technician did.

"I was right, it's bad news." Emma reiterates and Dr. Guinevere removes the probe from Emma's stomach and wipes it off with a disinfecting wipe. She hands Emma a towel and as the blonde wipes the gel off her body the doctor begins to talk.

"It appears that the embryo didn't latch onto your uterus but there is no cause for concern. We will implant two more embryos and one of them should hold. Are you ready to start this process right now?"

"Yes, let's do it." Emma says, and then leaves Regina behind as she follows Dr. Guinevere to a different room. Regina is escorted back to the lobby and she waits for about an hour while Emma gets the embryos implanted. When they are done a nurse retrieves Regina and takes her to see Emma. Dr. Guinevere is still in the room and continues talking to Emma even as Regina enters.

"Until we know for sure that you are or aren't pregnant, we strongly advise against drinking alcohol or coffee, and smoking. A healthy balanced diet will help and we are going to send you home with a few bottles of vitamins and minerals free of charge."