Part 65

“I’ll see if he’s available.” The intercom went silent for a moment, Alf looked through the gate while Biggs whistled silently.

“You oughtn’t to do that,” suggested Alf.

“What?”

“Whistle silently, you could get all the stray dogs chasing after you.”

“I was more breathing in a whistle type fashion.”

“Instead of whistling in a breathing type fashion?”

The intercom crackled into life, “Come in.” The gates opened. Alf and Biggs walked up to Honest Jim’s front door.

Was was waiting for them when they got to the door, “What is it, I am very busy you know?”

“We just wanted you to know if you knew why Mr. White-not-Black discharged you at the cellar club,” asked Biggs.

“I am not a gun, to be discharged.”

“Why did he release you early?”

“I am not a pigeon to be released.”

“Why did he say you could go when he plainly needed you to take him to the office?”

“Hang on,” said Alf, “he’s going to come up with another mis-heard releasing the man from service gag isn’t he.”

“What I want to know,” asked Biggs, “where was Was when Was was supposed to be with Mr. White-not-Black?”

“Nice play on words,” said Was, “I’ll stop messing now and give you a clue.”

“You mustn’t make it too obvious,” said Alf, “you’ll have to obfuscate it a little.”

Was thought for a bit, “A bit like the failed detective game the Author invented ‘Catch Clue’.