Part 48

CHAPTER 5

There were twenty quite steep steps up to the Main Library. An old 1930’s edifice hid a well used storehouse of literary classics, donated collections and people’s dreams. Alf pushed the swivel door and got through the other side. Biggs managed to step in to the swivel door but wasn’t quick enough to stop it banging on his feet and being trapped for a second within its glass prison.

“Come on Biggs,” geed Alf, “Why have we come to this dark and dismal place?”

“That’s nearly a line from the first book isn’t it?” thought Biggs.

“Yeah, I’ve been reading them again,” said Alf.

“Where did you borrow them from?”

“I had to get into the Author’s file system to download a copy onto my hand held PC.”

“Don’t let the library see you’ve got one of those, we might get nicked for being I.T.’s.”

“It’s strange isn’t it, that this dimension doesn’t seem to be quite up on the information technology and phone revolution.”

“I know, it’s a bit of a bind having to call back to the office via a telephone box.”

“Shhh!” shushed a librarian, “this IS a library you know,” she whispered.

“Oh, we didn’t know that,” said Biggs as he dumped his two books on the librarian’s desk.

“Is sarcasm optional?” she inquired.

“Do you want to pay for it?”

She frowned slightly. “This book has a fine on it!”

“I know, I didn’t have any change last time I came in.”

“That sounds normal,” she said as she stamped the books.

“Cheek!” fumed Biggs.