Part 10

Arthur parked the Chevrolet outside the portico. A flunky came to meet him.

    “Oh look a flunky,” noticed Sid, “I haven’t noticed one of them for ages.”

  “Be good Sid, no extra antagonism, we are just asking questions do not forget.”

  “Mr. Pendragon,” greeted the flunky, “my name is Mr. Flun Ki.”

  “I don’t believe that,” groaned Sid, “Mr. Flun Ki the Chinese flunky. What’s your favourite pet Mr. Flunki?” he asked Flun Ki.

  “A monkey.”

  “Flun Ki the flunky’s monkey. What’s its name, Punky, Chunky?”

  “Donkey.”

  “Donkey, Flun Ki the flunky’s monkey,” Sid laughed.

  Mr. Ki looked a little put out.

  “Siid,” rumbled Arthur.

  “Sorry,” said Sid as he took on his little boy lost look.

  Mr. Flun Ki showed them firstly into the reception hall and then into Honest Jim’s library.

  Honest Jim was at his desk his bookcases packed from floor to ceiling with books. He looked up from writing, “How do you do Mr. Pendragon. To what do I owe this pleasure?”

  “I am a private detective and I would like to ask you some questions.”

  “Not another snooper.”

  “Why did you say that?”

  “Is that one of your questions?”

  “No. Yes…I mean.”

  “What do you mean?”

  “I was just interested really.”

  “Mr. White-not-Black visited me.”

  “Really. That is interesting, we wanted to ask you about his whereabouts?”

  “I don’t know anything about his wear abouts. What he wears is up to him.”

  “No, I meant do you know where he is?”