Part 13

“Why did Mr. White-not-Black come to see you Honest Jim?” asked Arthur.

  “Well, to be honest, he was telling me that he was going to rip the lid off crime and police corruption in the city.”

  “Did that worry you?”

  "Ripping the lid off things can get messy, especially if it's a tin of tomato soup and you're in a hurry wearing a white suit. Very messy. It did not worry me because I have legal and legitimate business interests. I am not a criminal.”

  “Why are you known as Honest Jim the Gangster then?” enquired Sid.

  “I used to be honest, years ago, but my friend Mr. White-not-Black helped me to reform my ways.”

  "That does not make sense."

  "I mean I used to be a gangster. I carried on with the outward guise of a gangster to help him with his investigative stories.”

  “That’s a good story,” said Sid.

  “It’s true.”

  “I suppose we could always ask the Author if what he is saying is the truth,” thought Arthur.

  “Don’t get me involved,” said I, “you are supposed to be proving you are a good detective.”

  “Oh, so I get no help from you, not even if I compliment you?”

  “I’ll help you but you have to solve the crime on your own.”

  “Great,” greated Arthur, “well I suppose we will have to go and see the body.” He looked at Honest Jim and his men, “Thank you honest Jim, Mr. Was and Flun Ki.”

  “You missed the capital H out Author. Good day Mr. Pendragon, see them out Mr. Ki,” said Honest Jim with a capital H.

  Arthur and Sid got back into their car and made for the Cellar Club.

The Detective Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें