Part 2

“Have you thought of a name for this one yet?” he asked.

  “Not yet, we’ll call it the New Detective One for now.”

  “What about the cowboy bit? As a matter of fact I resent having to wear a 10 gallon hat all of the time. I would rather have a bowler, much more British.”

  “It’s social convention, even in Britain, and has an ancient historical basis.”

  “Yeas, I reckon somebody went back to ancient Egypt and gave Khufu a cowboy hat and told him to start the fashion off.”

  “You just read what I wrote earlier didn’t you?”

  “What if I did?”

  “It makes you sound like you know what’s going on.”

  “What if it does?”

  “You’re in a mood today aren’t you?”

  “What if I am?”

  “Just get on with it or I’ll introduce a particularly nasty character to this part of the story just to torment you.”

  “If you are going to be like that then I want to know what is going to happen exactly with the plot of this book. No meandering about because it is funny, but sticking to the plot.”

  “That’s so restrictive, and not very good for my imagination.”

  “I could give you the rulings from the funny character’s union hand book and make sure you stick to the contract.”

  “Well, what I could do is write the book then come back here and give you the whole plot.”