chapter 36

Manik stepped out of the ward and leaned by the wall as he closed his eyes holding back his tears. He had been happy and smiling in front of her, but deep down in his heart, he was scared. The fear of losing her killed him each passing second.

"Kuch nahi hoga usse" he heard Cabir's voice who kept an assuring hand on his shoulder and Manik looked at him with teary eyes.

"Cabir" he breathed and took him in a hug the next moment.

"Relax, be strong." Cabir patted his back and they broke the hug and Manik wiped his face nervously.

"I..I don't know how to..thank you" he fumbled.

"Bass kar bhai..ye kya thank you ka jaap laga rakha hai? Meri bhehn nahi hai woh kya?" He asked and Manik nodded. "Toh phir? Ab zyada stress mat le, everything will be fine." He said and Manik looked upwards hoping for God to hear their prayers.

When summoned by the doctors, Manik signed the consent form with all his rights and deposited the needed cash for the transplant. The doctors soon went inside as Cabir was already injected the anesthesia while the others stayed outside.

*

"Doctor, can I please..can I please meet Manik once?" Nandini pleaded to doctors just a while before they began with the procedures.

"But Nandini.."

"Please doctor just two minutes, please."

The doctor nodded and asked a nurse to call Manik.

"Aapko patient ne andar bhulaya hai." The nurse informed Manik. He glanced at the others who gestured him to go ahead and he nodded.

The doctors drew the curtains for their privacy once Manik stepped inside.

"Manik" Nandini breathed and hugged him as soon as he sat next to her.

"Nandini? Kya hua baby? Listen.." he stroked her hair.

"Manik just hold me tight. Please." Her eyes were tightly shut and she had his shirt clasped in her hands.

For a moment, he forgot everything and reciprocated to the hug closing his eyes. They found what they needed. Peace and solace in each other.
They broke the hug and joined their foreheads together as he cupped her face in his hands.

"Nandini, be strong okay? Kuch nahi hoga tumhe." He assured and she nodded. He looked at her and pressed his lips on her forehead. He got up to go but turned to catch a last glimpse of her before going out.

*

Two hours later, the doctors finally stepped out of the OT. Manik who was pacing to and fro in the corridor spotted them and approached them while the rest stood up from the benches.

"Doctor, how's Nandini? And Cabir? Is everything okay?" He asked in a go.

"Relax Manik" the doctor patted his shoulder. "Everything is under control. Both Nandini and Cabir are fine. The transplant was successful. Congratulations."

His eyes immediately went up, looking heavenward as he let out a huge breath of relief silently thanking God for returning him his life. His muscles loosened as a slow smile appeared on his face.

"Hey Matarani, thank you so much" Navya thanked God as well as the rest whose eyes sparkled with joy.

"Can..can we meet them?" Manik asked hesitantly.

"Well, it'll take some time for Nandini to regain consciousness but for Cabir, since the anaesthesia dose was for the given two hours, so yes, we'll just shift him in a private ward, then you can meet him." The doctor informed and they nodded.