P o w e r

S o n g : M e x i c o - H e d l e y

C h a p t e r LX
V i r i d i a n

I watched with a clenched jaw and a racing heart as the stake stopped in midair, merely making a scratch on my skin as I exhaled loudly.

Miguel smiled down at me, "But first, there's a little girl I need to deal with and I want you alive to watch."

At the mention of Kenna everything around me began to shake; my body burning up as I pushed against the unseen forces. The sense of power streaming into my veins suddenly filled all my senses as it overwhelmed the hold Miguel had over me.

"You—" I groaned, flipping over to my stomach, "Will—" My arms shakily pushed my torso up as I huffed exasperatedly, "Not—" with trembling legs, I struggled against the darkness to get back on my feet, "Touch her." I growled out breathlessly, finally standing on my two feet as the pressure from the air threatened to bring me back down to my knees again. The only thing keeping me up was the amazing amount of power flooding inside of my veins and sparking around me; fighting with the invisible force as it grew stronger with the thought of him hurting my love.

"Well this is just unfair! I feel like I have sorely missed out on all of the fun. What in the world, Viridian, why was I not informed of this get-together?" Dark obsidian eyes caught mine as he smiled mischievously. "I'm not entirely sure about you, kid, but I, for one, am ready to kick some godly ass."

I studied him for a quick second, seeing the sincere excitement in his eyes and the black blood that drenched his clothes as if he had taken a bath in it. My lips twitched up bemusedly, "Never thought I'd be happy to see you." I muttered as he smirked back at me.

"Just try to keep me away, kid." He laughed, flipping the bloody stake he held in his hands in the air, "But please, do know I will kill you just the same when I am good and ready."

This guy... He spoke the truth, yet I didn't feel threatened as I stood there depending on the power running between us to survive this fight.

"When you're good and ready then," I nodded.

"So then, is everyone done catching up?" Miguel spoke up with a bored expression as we both acknowledged him, "Oh, I'm sorry boys, I didn't mean to interrupt: please, pretend I'm not here." His lips spread up into a smile as the visible black veins inside of him began to pump more poison inside of him. More power inside of him.

"That is just..." Obsidian's face morphed into disgust as he cringed, "Not right. That is the opposite of right. You should really get that examined, Mate."

Miguel's body began to twist and disfigure as he doubled in size, towering over us as his neck hung at an awkward angle, as if he was trying to turn his head around like an owl. He looked like a science experiment gone wrong with his overly muscular shoulders and long fangs. His lips practically split across his veiny face as he gave us a wide grin.

"So how do you want to do this?" He asked in a distorted voice, his eyes round and black as he looked at us sinisterly, "One at a time? Or should I just kill you together?" He bellowed out with a laugh.

Obsidian's permanent smile dropped, his eyes darkening as he glared at Miguel hatefully. "No. See, here is what I was thinking," his voice came out dangerously as he began to stalk over slowly in a threatening manner. "That kid you are so intent on destroying? Yeah, well he is my unfortunate problem." His voice growled out as I raised my eyebrows, taken aback somewhat weirdly by his possessiveness. "And I really do not like to share my misfortunes, so now you—" His eyes begun to change into a lighter colour as he cracked his neck and spun the stake around in his hand expertly, "—are now my problem as well. Only, I do not like you --so I am just going to kill you and get it over with." He grinned with a dangerous purr as he launched the stake millimetres away from Miguel's face with his back now turned to me.