C a l m

S o n g : M o n s t e r L e a d M e H o m e - S a r a H a r t m a n

C h a p t e r XLIV
K e n a d i a

"Oh, these are amazing." Saffron groaned into the now barbecued perfectly ribs. Her eyes closed as she basked in the deliciousness of the tender meat.

Viridian was one hell of a cook. Probably because he'd been doing it for at least a hundred years more than I -at least that I could remember. He was great at a lot of things due to all of his many previous experiences...

I nudged the cooks foot with mine, causing him to put his hand wordlessly on my thigh; acknowledging my attention as he ran his fingers up and down softly, activating my sensitive nerves. We were sitting at the dining table in the dining room attached to the kitchen. Viridian and I mostly ate at the breakfast bar, but there wasn't enough room for all three of us to eat ribs so we moved the party of three to the dusty but beautiful candle-lit room.

"So," I started, wiping the apple-butter sauce off of my index fingers and thumbs with a wet napkin, "What House is my sister from? She's using water magic, right?" I asked, interlacing my fingers into the back of Viridian's hand secretly. He locked onto my fingers instantly.

"Lady Alina is in the Cerise house." Saffron said with a nod, "Remember what I told you?" She challenged me as I thought about it.

"Cerise is for all elemental magic?" I tried to remember, "So those who use any fire, water, air, or earth elemental magic are grouped into that House?" My voice was uncertain as she smiled at me -her face covered in the sticky sweet sauce.

"Very good, you remembered!" She said before gobbling down another mouthful of rib meat. "Well, your sister is quite the powerful water user --she can even liquify herself which is a very hard feature to accomplish with elemental magic. She would be the Cerise Princess, however there's a fire user who is even more powerful." Saffron said, placing the licked-clean bone on the towering mountain of bones on her plate.

For someone so dang tiny, she ate like she had five hundred times the weight of her body fat. I could barely eat more than five ribs, and she had finished a whole rack of thirteen --very possibly more. I wondered if it was a Ebony thing, or just a Saffron thing.

"Oh dear me, I'm so full." She exhaled loudly, falling back into her chair as she cleaned her dirty hands up. "Vampire, that was really yummy. Thanks." She smiled at him adorably -even with all the sauce on her face- as her big bright blue eyes sparkled delightfully.

Viridian laughed under his breath, "Anytime, butterfly." His eye caught mine as he winked at me. "Well, I have some training to do." He stood up, leaning down to kiss my cheek sweetly. "I'll be just outside. If you need anything just call and I'll be there." He rested his forehead on mine for a moment.

"Stay safe out there." I held the side of his neck before tipping my chin up, capturing his lips. I flinched back from his mouth as my poor cut up lip was pulled.

Stupid Vampire.

He kissed the side of my mouth, rubbing his nose on mine again; causing my heart to melt. I wonder if he could tell?

"Don't give me orders, little beast." He purred before flashing away and leaving me there blinking in surprise.

Stupid Vampire.

†⚜†

Picture of dining room above
Short and sweet <3 The chapters were getting so annoyingly long. I much prefer this length.
Thanks for reading!