Chapter 13: Breathe

"So are you going to tell me what just happened?" I ask Liam.

"Don't you want to take a seat first?" He says and points the bench next to us.

"Liam." I say and he takes a deep breath.

"Please don't get mad." He says before explaining and I nod, "I went to talk to Jason in a civilized way, but then he turned mad and started hitting me and that's how the fight started." He says. I'm not buying it. He brings his hand up to his face to touch the red spot on his cheek. That looks painful.

"But why did he get angry?" I ask, trying to put the pieces together.

"We were talking about you." He says. And why is that a problem? Everyone talk about other people all the time and they don't fight because of that. Most of the time...

"And?" I keep asking.

"I told him to stay away from you because you were with me." Am I with him? No. We're just starting a friendship and he thinks he can tell people to stay away from me? What's his problem? That's so wrong in many ways. Ugh, for every step we move forward we move two backwards.

"Liam we're just friends, and even if we were more why would you say that to him?" I sincerely ask. I feel so upset right now.

"Because-" He pauses and looks into my eyes, "Because I get jealous when you talk or text to him."

"You know we're only friends, right?" I remark with a serious look on my face.

"Yeah I know." He says, "But I don't want him to get to your heart before I do."

Oh, wow. Well that was unexpected.

"Oh." I don't know what to say, I did know Jason had a little crush on me but I'm wasn't quite sure about Liam, he's so confusing and undecided all the time.

"I'm sorry." He apologizes. "We had a nice time a few hours ago, it doesn't have to end like this." He says and grabs my right hand.

"I want to talk to Jason." I say and pull my hand away.

"Okay." Liam simply says with a weak voice and slowly walks away.

I can't believe what he did, when I think we're having a progress he reminds me we don't. Poor Jason I do want to be his friend, maybe he is misunderstanding my intentions, but I only want him as a friend and that needs to be clear between us.

I grab my phone and look through my contacts, I scroll down a few and see Jason's name. I tap his name and wait for him to respond. After five beeps it sends me to his voicemail. Why isn't he answering? I hope he isn't mad at me or disappointed. Maybe he wants to be calm down before talking to me and that's why he isn't answering, yeah that's the most reasonable explanation.

I won't tell my friends about what happened this morning. They will not approve my friendship with Liam or Jason.

Just when I thought nothing could get worse, Rebecca and my parents come to my mind. Damn it, why am I having so many problems lately? Last year the worst of my problems was a B on geography or what I was having for dinner and now they appear new ones every day. Is this my karma? Because it feels terrible.

"Miss Cadwell?" I hear someone calling my name. I turn around and see Miss Annabelle. Great, this was what I needed today, the cherry on top. She's wearing the red lipstick she wears every day and I hate so much. It looks as if she's was going to a party. I don't like anything about her, except her hair, it's really pretty.

"Yes?" I say with a fake smile. It's so hard pretending to be happy in front of this woman.

"Do you have a minute? We need to talk." She says and pushes her perfectly straight hair back.