Baseball | Steve Rogers

Someone commented the last time I used the name Carter because they thought it was weird that the reader and Steve would name their child after Steve's love interest. My thinking was and is that Peggy Carter was a very important woman in Steve's life and helped shape him into the Captain America we know and love. For me in these stories (Unless I specifically say Peggy was a love interest) Peggy was an extremely amazing woman and role model for Steve who deserves to be remembered.

Speaking of children... Joseph is 8 years old, Sarah Is 7 Years old, Carter and Becky are 1 year old twins. I'm going to make a list of every kid and their picture, and age. I might do the same thing for pets just because i'm like that.

('◕ω◕')

Usually the Avengers were all told to stay indoors for safety reasons, today was special though. Nobody knows why, but it was special. Everybody was outside and together, Clint and his family included.

Wanda was walking with Vision and her brother, both are helping nurse him back to health. Loki reads under a tree while Thor and Jane are nearby enjoying a picnic. Tony and Pepper walk Dum-E on a leash because nobody knows what he'll do if given the chance to be outside (and Tony wants to show Pepper that he can take care of a puppy but that's a story for another day). Clint is teaching his daughter how to make flower crowns for Laura and Natasha while his sons roll a ball between themselves. Bruce is meditating and not so casually glancing at Natasha while she talks to Laura. Sam and Bucky are arm wrestling while Scott and Rhodey bet and Peter and T'Challa await their turn to defeat the champion.

Steve and I are watching everybody with our children, Sarah, Joseph, Carter, and Becky and our two dogs Max and Lucy. Sarah held her bat and Joseph held his baseball while the twins, Carter and Becky, crawled around on the quilt that the rest of us sat on together, Max being ever so proud is sitting in between the twins with his head held high while Lucy watches their every move and keeps them on the quilt. Joseph looked down at his baseball and traced his fingers along the seam. Both gloves had long been put away.

I looked at Joe and then Steve, who had noticed the melancholy attitude of the normally cheerful little boy. Steve and I made eye contact and I nodded my head towards our eldest son.

"Hey, Joseph, what's got you so down?" Steve asks as he wraps an arm around Joe.

"Nothing." He mumbles, not making eye contact with his father, all Steve has to do is give him a stern look and Joseph spills. "I really want to play baseball but, Sarah and I need more people. We tried to play but, it wasn't as fun." He says while Sarah nods and sticks her lip out.

"Well, we're going to have to fix that." I say and smile at Steve.

He stands up and whistles loudly, gaining the team's attention. He motions them to come toward us and crowd around him in a half circle before smiling and saying, "Who wants to play some baseball?"

('◕ω◕')

"Team one is Clint, Bruce, Sam, Rhodey, Natasha, Cooper, Loki, Tony, Scott, and Vision. Team two is Clint, Pietro, T'Challa, Peter, Joe, Bucky, Sarah, Thor, Lila, and Wanda. Steve, you and I are umpires," They start to group themselves in their teams as I assign roles. "Pitchers are Pepper and Clint. Catchers are Bruce and Pietro. First basemen, Sam and T'Challa. Shortstops in between first and second base, Cooper and Bucky. Second Basemen, Rhodey and Peter. Shortstop between second and third base, Vision and Wanda. Third Base, Natasha and Joe. Left field Loki and Sarah, Center field Tony and Thor, Right field Scott and Lila. Got it?"

Most of the team just blinks at me before I pull out my phone and show them where their places are, a refresher for some, totally new for others.

"Where is the shortstop between first and second base?" Cooper asks, pointing at the empty space on the screen.

"We have too many people so I added a shortstop." He nods and runs to the field where his place would be.

The game goes on without a hitch. Everybody understands the basic concepts and learns while the game is played. Laura and Jane opted out of the game because of the babies. Laura wanted to stay and watch them and Jane has one on the way. In the end the game ties at 56-56 and it's nearly 7:00. Tony still talks about how he was center field because he has to be the center of attention. Clint tosses a ball to his wife and winks at her saying "You're a catch".

Steve and Joseph walk together near the back while I push the twins in the stroller and hold Sarah's hand while she walks the dogs. Steve places his hand on Joe's shoulder and smiles down at him. The little boy flashes his father a large smile, showing his missing front teeth, Steve takes off his son's red baseball cap and ruffles his hair and replaced the cap back on crookedly. Joseph smiles up at his father with nothing but admiration on his face.