Trade Mistakes | Steve/Bucky

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Placing a smile at the perfect event,
Gracing your skin with the side of my hand.
If I ever leave I could learn to miss you
With sentimental boy as my nom de plume.

Bucky's POV

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I know her.

I know her.

I know her!

I feel ecstatic as I run to this mystery girl. Her (h/l) (h/c) seems to form a halo around her. I can feel my heart beat faster as I near her. For the first time in a long time I feel alive. Almost human.

Her laugh haunted my dreams. Her smile always in the back of my head. I can barely feel her soft cheeks in my hands as I wipe away her tears.

Let me save you of this wrong.

I may never sleep tonight,
As long as you're still burning bright.
If I could trade mistakes for sheep,
Count me away before you sleep.
I'll still wait till I trade my mistakes,
So they fade away.

She's been keeping me from sleeping, from moving, from loving anyone else. Well, not that I was able to. Ya' know with Hydra n' all.

We make eye contact and I can tell she recognizes me too. Her whole face seems to turn from a tired girl to the brightest star. We both smile and I can see another man with her. He's tall with blonde hair and blue eyes. The man from the bridge.

When I see their holding hands my stomach knots, I can't help but keep the fake smile on my face as I get closer.

I feel marooned in this body,
Deserted, my organs can go on without me.
You can't fly these wings.
You can't sleep in this box with me.

When we are finally are face to face she puts her hand up, her delicate fingers curled slightly. This action seems so familiar yet it's clouded. Like I'm standing in a dense fog watching someone else's life. I slowly move my left arm, my metal arm, and place my palm against hers. Slowly, I uncurl her fingers with mine, one by one until our hands are completely flat. Almost like we're one, only connected by our hands.

"Hey, Buck." She finally speaks and it sounds like the church bells back in Brooklyn.

"(Y/n), can we go to Brooklyn?" She allows tears to fall freely, cascading slowly down her cheeks.

"Let's go home."

Let me save you of this wrong.

I may never sleep tonight,
As long as you're still burning bright.
If I could trade mistakes for sheep,
Count me away before you sleep.
I'll still wait till I trade my mistakes,
So they fade away.

Don't let me tell you of this wrong,
Then I'll pull you in.
'Cause I am an anchor, save her oar
Feel it sinking in.
Don't let me save you of this wrong
I am an anchor, sinking on.

Two Years Later

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I remember most things. I remember my best friends. I remember loving (Y/n) so much it hurt. I remember the sinking feeling in my chest when (Y/n) and Steve told me they were a couple.

I never told her. That's what keeps me distant from them. She never loved me. Never thought about me as something more.

"Bucky!" Steve's voice snaps me out of my trance and I glance over at him, showing him I'm listening. "I'm gonna propose tonight. This is what I've been working for since I first met her." Me too Steve.

"Well ya' already know she's gonna say yes. She's been waitin' for this for years." I smile and go back to playing with my metal arm.

"Steve hurry up! We have reservations!" (Y/n) yells from outside Steve's bedroom door. "Geez ya' take longer than me." She mumbles and I smile slightly at her stubbornness.

"Wish me luck." Steve pats me on my back and slips the black velvet box in his jacket pocket.

I may never sleep tonight,
As long as you're still burning bright.
If I could trade mistakes for sheep,
Count me away before you sleep.
I'll still wait till I trade my mistakes,
So they fade away.