Fireworks | Bucky Barnes

TIMER AU

Bucky's POV

  ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ  

When my timer said I would meet my soul mate when I was over ninety I was disappointed that I would only have a few good years with my other half. Well, I guess I was wrong.

When I arrived at the Avengers tower the first thing I did was glance at the timer on my left arm that has never stopped counting down. My breath hitched when I saw that it was under a month. Steve smiled and told me that some of the team are on a month long mission. Would they be apart of the team?

Those three weeks felt like a lifetime. Steve and I stood as stiff as boards, him more nervous than I for some reason. The aircraft made one of the quickest landings that I've ever seen. Then I heard why. The painful scream. The screaming that was all too familiar.

I saw four people rushing out carrying a girl on a gurney. Blood dripped from her left side and I saw the cause of the screams. She had gotten her entire arm torn off.

The bandage looked hastily put on just to stop the bleeding, tears were running down her face as they rushed her to Dr. Cho. The operation went swiftly, they left that girl with nothing but a reminder.

When everyone was in Anthony's lab discussing what type of prosthetic they should give the girl, I sneaked in. She was awake and aware of me. Yet, her eyes stayed trained on the ceiling.

"It was a rescue mission," her grainy voice rumbles out. "A rescue mission for me."

"Who had you?"

"Who do you think?!" She said as loud as she could, but her voice was raw from screaming so her voice was barely above a whisper.

Hydra.

"They took my timer." She sobbed. "It was so close to finishing its countdown. They took it when I was only a day away from meeting that one person I'm meant to be with."

For some reason I felt the need to help her, to hug her, touch her, anything if it meant I would gain some type of contact with her. So I picked her up gently and later her in my lap, rocking her slowly. A tingling feeling crawled around the places where I was touching, the feeling grew stronger. I glanced down at my timer and saw that it had reached its end.

This girl is my soul mate.

"Fireworks." She smiled slightly and nodded at my words before drifting off to sleep. "Fireworks."