RR30 Between Worlds

The whole time Lady Sif cared for baby Ksenia, she couldn't stop worrying about her. Where had Loki gotten her from? She was a mortal child, but her eyes were not that of any mortal she had ever seen. As the early morning sunlight filtered in, the purple in her eyes just seemed to shine.

As Sif stared at the beautiful little girl, she started coughing again.

"Oh dear child, it's alright, you are safe and cared for." This baby was seriously sick and it pained her that she was such a fierce warrior but she couldn't even protect the baby from this sickness.

When the baby stopped coughing, she wrapped it tighter in the golden blanket and walked her around the room to keep her calm. She had no idea how to care for a baby but this just seemed natural to her. Loki could not have stolen her. He was connected to this child's mother somehow and the worry he had in his eyes when he handed her over was too real.

It wasn't too long after getting lost in her thoughts that she heard a pounding at her door. She laid Ksenia in the middle of her bed and gently covered her, thankful that she had finally fallen asleep.

She cracked her door and peered out to find six guards waiting for her. She slipped out of her room and closed the door behind her. She stood protectively in front of it and put on her bravest face.

Lady Sif, we have been ordered to search your chambers.

"Search my chambers for what?" she asked the lead guard Elsviarn.

"You have been accused of harboring a Midgardian child, what have you say about that," he asked with a sneer.

This was the guard she had sparred with not too long ago, and won. He was trying to get a rise out of her.

"What proof have you?" she asked a little more defensively. The healers must have reported her, they were the only ones who knew about the matter.

"We have proof enough, now stand aside." Elsviarn tried pushing her to the side but her hand caught the guards arm.

Their eyes locked and their bodies tensed. Elsviarn turned toward his fellow guards and gave a nod, allowing them to move in to remove Sif from barring the door. Instead of letting them, she took on the challenge. The child would surely be killed by Odin's orders if she was found.

She tightened her grip on the guards arm and twisted it as she swung around it. The immense strain on the arm made the guard groan. She then kicked him in the chest as she did at their recent spar and sent him to the ground and sliding across the hall. The other guards all tried laying their hands on her but with her small frame, she easily dodged them and sent them sprawling back with their fellow guard.

Lady Sif then slipped back into her room and locked it. She the hurriedly made a sling to hold Ksenia and went to grab her. The baby was still sleeping wrapped in the gold shawl so she gently picked her up and placed her in the sling so that she would be able to use her hands if she had to.

Leaving through the door was out of the question so that only left the window. The only way out was about sixteen stories down. She had to make it to Heimdall to get Ksenia out of Asgard. She only hoped that since Loki got here with the child, she would be allowed to leave with it.

Hugging Ksenia close, she stepped onto the ledge and then began her climb down. As a child, she always loved the twisting green vines that grew up the castle walls. Right now though, she was even more thankful since it gave her hand and footholds to allow her a safer way down.

Sif was now more afraid than she had ever been in her life, even in battles. Just the idea of something happening to an innocent child terrified her. Hearing the guards knock the door to her chambers down, she hurried her pace and climbed down faster.