Chapter 50

I took Harrison's hand as he led me out to the ballroom floor. I always loved a good foxtrot- it was uncommon for people to know how to dance it well these days. I thought back to the days in the empty ballroom in which the only music came from a cheap radio, and Brenda instructed us how to dance.

His hand brushed the thin lace that crept above my wrist. I put my hand on his arm clothed in a very fine suit. We started to step lightly across the marbled floors. I loved how fluid it was- it was almost a type of contemporary dancing in the way that each movement connects to the other. When I turn and extend my arm, I can feel it in my fingertips as my arm comes down smoothly to rest on Harry's arm.

"So how's the business?" I asked. He lifted his arm and I spun under his control.

"It's fine," he said looking over me. "I'm doing quite well, and Uncle Slade has gotten me a private tutor so that I can keep learning. I'll be attending a university in the fall."

"At fifteen? Where are you going to college, Harry?" I said a little bit more upset than usual. I no longer felt like I was walking on air, and my red laced sleeves felt tighter than they were.

"Fondean. Strings were pulled, and after I get a degree and learn more about business, I can take over Dad's company when I'm eighteen," he explained passionately.

"Are you going to be able to go through that much school this quickly?" I asked as our song ended.

My eyes met his as I rose from my curtsy. "I have to try," he shrugged. He looked beyond my head and furrowed his brow. "I have to go talk to some other business owners and make a good impression. I love you, have a good time tonight."

I didn't have time to say anything else before I lost him to the crowds. My curls that have been falling from my hair style were still bouncing from whipping my head from side to side when another man took my hand to dance with me.

"Nathan," I sighed. "I actually thought you were some stranger," I laughed spinning on the floor.

"Any stranger should be afraid to ask you to dance. You're quite intimidating, El," he smirked. He pushed his arm out for me to spin away from him, and I almost bumped into another couple as they waltzed away from us.

"Nathan! You can't do that out of term," I giggled semi-shamefully. "How in the world am I intimidating?"

He shrugged. "When you come back after a kidnapping, family murder, and a heart attack, you get a fierce title. Not to mention you come from a powerful family. Many people think you're still here out of pity, but the ones who aren't stupid know you're here because you're strong."

I bit my lip. "Quite generous of you to think so, but I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on that."

Questioning wrinkles formed across his head. "Why would you say that?" he said, gently running his thumb over the back of my hand he was holding.

I knew my voice was breaking. "I'd rather not talk about it. Can we just keep dancing?" I asked, looking straight at his chest. "Please?"

He nodded. "Yes, El, of course."

And so we did. I found myself enjoying the small talk we made, and even the occasional dance in which we decide to switch partners. I even wound up dancing with my Uncle one time. Others were filled with odd strangers that wanted to be in league with either a pending powerful future Queen or a powerful business tycoon. Little did they know, the earlier was not an option and the latter didn't feel right for me.

Many strangers accompanied them as I walked the ballroom crowds, exploring the masses in the deep room. I was still on the same glass of red wine as I had been almost half an hour ago, and I had taken a while to finish the flute of champagne before that.