Chapter 24

After my dance with Aaron, I decided to sit with Marlee again once the coast was clear. Danielle had ushered everyone inside because it was getting colder as the night grew on, so now the ballroom was filled with people.

People left gifts under the giant tree in the ballroom. Wether they were for the Royal family or for children in the orphanage, it warmed my heart to the core. I, myself, donated a generous amount of my inheritance. After all, I had a lot to give.

Everyone mingled, and the crowd began to grow thinner and thinner. I took a glass of champagne and sipped it delicately while I sat at a table by myself. I had a feeling Marlee and Luc would want a little privacy. I swirled the flute by the stem, watching the drink spiral inside of the narrow chute of glass.

"Well, I would say you've done pretty well with this party, Elisa," a polite voice said from in front of me. I looked up to see Kiara pull a chair out next to me. I tensed up a bit, but I had to remind myself that she had changed. "How are you?"

"I'm well," I said quietly. "How have you been since we've returned?"

"I've fared the same. For reasons I'd rather not tell, I was dismissed. I felt absolutely terrible for what I did, and I can't seem to find a person who I'd like to apologize to."

I froze a little. Was she talking about Lia? Had she really changed for the better? "Well, I'm sure she would forgive you," I assured her.

"I don't know," she grimaced. She, too, had a glass she was drinking, but hers had more in it. She must not be much of a drinker. "So, I saw you dancing with Aaron."

"Yeah, I was. He asked me to," I said casually, taking a sip of my drink. "Have you danced with him?"

"I just got done dancing with him," she responded. I guess it was a little odd to be talking about our- Er, boyfriend in this matter. "You know, Elisa," she began.

"What is it?" I raised an eyebrow. I crossed my legs before settling my skirts comfortably. I swept a stray hair out of my way and blinked my eyes a few times.

"Since there were some of us brought back, I think that means he really liked one of us," she reasoned. "I- I just wanted you to know that we're in love. I just don't want you to get your hopes up bec-"

"I beg your pardon?" I chuckled darkly. "What are you implying, Kiara?"

"Well, I just didn't want you to get your hopes up. I mean, I'm sure you'll find love, too. You did almost marry someone, right? Anyways, there will surely be men lined up in Hampton for a girl like you. I just want you to have what Aaron and I have," she explained, as if it were simple.

"I love Aaron. With all of my heart, I love him fiercely. Love isn't boastful, either. It's kind, good, and pure. As for the other topics you approached, I find that highly inappropriate for you to even speak of! And also," I scoffed, rising from my seat. "I wouldn't want what you and Aaron have. You know why?" I laughed with narrow eyes.

Kiara looked at me with an icy glare, taken aback by what I had just said. She was still ready to listen to what I had to say. "It sucks. I don't know what you and Aaron have, but I can assure you that it isn't love, bitch."

I downed the rest of my glass and put it down gently in front of her, rubbing off a bit of lipstick on the side. Then, I leant down really close to her ear and looked off into the rest of the ballroom. "I know why you left. Might want to watch your temper before you lose control of your hands," I whispered sharply in her ear.

I walked away from Kiara without looking back. I loved Aaron, but even I wouldn't have had the audacity she just used to speak to another member of the Elite. the worst thing was, when I first got here, I would've believed her! This is why I was glad I had transformed-with the help of Aaron, might I add.

Most of the Elite had left, along with Marlee and Luc. I saw Aaron across the ballroom, and we caught a long glance. I exhaled deeply through my nose and smiled at him. he mouthed the words 'rooftop' with a cocked eyebrow. My small smile turned into a grin as I nodded my head eagerly. He beamed at me and gave a nod of acknowledgment. After that, he left the ballroom.

I put my fingers to my earpiece and pushed down. "Danielle, are you ready to send them out?"

"Yeah," she replied, her voice a little fuzzy from going through he technology. "I've gotten most of the strays and troublemakers. The drunks were pretty challenging until I sent them home with a bottle of wine."

I laughed into the earpiece. "Weren't we giving those out as a complimentary gift?"

"What they don't know won't hurt them," she said mischievously. "Oh, I have to go."

"It's fine! I'll see you later, alright?" I said while putting all of the gifts to the orphanage in one pile.

"Ok. Wait, no, please don't climb on that-" The earpiece cut her off with a loud crash. I felt sorry for whatever she was about to deal with.

After I arranged all of the piles with the help of a few servants, I put up the leftover food. I knew that the staff would always eat the leftovers for dinner that night, and that was the reason I made sure we had a lot of extra today. Of course, America, Danielle, and Maxon didn't know that.

When everyone was sent home, I went ahead to go to the rooftop. I was passing by a table when I saw Marlee had left her crown on one of the tables. I figured I should take it to her, so I left the ballroom and went to the third floor where she was.

I paused in front of her large door and knocked, making sure to show the guard the reason I was here. When it opened, I was surprised to see Kiara standing there. She had on her pajamas with one long braid over her shoulder. She didn't have any makeup on, either, which made me wonder why she was in Marlee's room.

"Elisa?" She asked, confused. "What are you doing here?"

I widened my eyes and cocked my head. "I could ask you the same thing, Kiara."

I heard somebody calling from behind the edge of a wall. "Ki, is somebody at the door?" I heard Marlee call from inside the room.

"It's just nobody," she answered without breaking her stare with me. "Why are you here?"

"I came to drop off Marlee's crown," I answered. I tried to step inside, but Kiara held out a hand, blocking the doorway.

"Sorry, you're not invited in," she said acidly.

Marlee came behind her, also in a nightgown. "Kiara, really who's at the- oh, hey Elisa!" She smiled brightly when she saw me, but Kiara still didn't move her arm. "What are you doing here?"

"You left your crown," I said simply. I just held it out for her to take, and Kiara handed it to Marlee. "Well, I'll leave you to what you were doing." I spun on my heel and went up to the rooftop again, trying to keep years from spilling from my eyes.

When I turned a corner, I saw Marlee running to catch up to me. "Elisa, I'm sorry, it's just that Kiara just came back and we were catching up," she said, attempting to explain.

That really stung me. Not only did Kiara just get back and say such rude things to me, but I, too, had just returned. "I understand how it is to be separated from a friend for so long, it's ok," I smiled weakly.

"Oh, Elisa- I didn't mean it like that, I swear," she said hastily. She tried to grab one of my arms, but I stepped back. I ran my hands up and down my arms, trying to cover the embarrassment I felt.

"Just," I sighed heavily. "Have a good night, Marlee."

I turned around and kept walking, my head lowered noticeably. She kept calling my name, but I wasn't going to look. I just kept going, thinking of where it all went wrong. I never turned to look back at Marlee, and I kept my back turned.

The way she had turned her back on me.