Chapter 32

Extremely emotional and may contain triggers. Strong content on this chapter. Read at your own risk.

I was watching the report donned in my newly purchased sweatpants. Ever since I had left home, I took a liking to pants. The girl that I was supposed to room with ironically went into the Selection, so I had a solitary dorm.

My warm chicken soup sat cradled in my lap as I settled on my couch in my dorm. College was fine, although not what I had expected. I had been here for several months, and I hadn't met many new people.

I haven't met the love of my life yet. I didn't expect to, but it was a nice, hopeful thought to have. The whole concept of falling in love seemed magical to me that only happened in fairy tales.

Tonight they were choosing the Elite for Prince Aaron's selection. I was secretly rooting for Kiara Espanosa, a beautiful girl with pale blonde hair and a clear complexion I'd kill for. The girl from Hampton was still competing, but I'll admit she wasn't my favorite.

To me, she was too young to be married at the prime age of sixteen, not even a year older than my sister, Penelope. To see her be married would be like seeing Penelope married, and that idea was too foreign and strange.

Turns out, Kiara and the Hampton girl made it into the Elite, the final six of the selection. I was extremely excited as I slurped the rest of my soup and put it on my desk. I had to get some studying done for my exam tomorrow, so I patiently waited for the news segment to end.

Breaking news appeared on the screen of a large fire. It was live television from my home state, Hampton. I gasped in shock and covered my gaping mouth. Fire trucks roamed the streets, but there was no hope. It was going to burn.

"Illèan Billionaire, Christopher Carams, and his family perished in the fire today. A tragic accident started by a rebellion organization of a name which we do not know," a news reporter confirmed in a voiceover.

I shut the television off when the phone rang.

<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>~<~>

A few months had passed since my family's death. I had kept to myself, but my grades were falling dramatically. My father's business fell to the hands of a man I'd never heard of by the name Slade, leaving me with only a little money to my name.

I had enough to finish college and give me a good life, but I couldn't do that anymore. I was alone. I had sunken into a deep depression, never eating. A dorm supervisor had to check on me every day and make sure I ate at least one meal a day, sometimes force fed.

My long sweatshirt hung long over my hands and thighs. I had on leggings and sweatpants, but nothing could ward off the chill in my room. When you starve yourself, you become cold all of the time, for your body can't produce heat.

The long sleeves hid my sore and fresh marks. Some newer than old, thin lines marred my wrists on both hands. This was a habit I had picked up after I had fallen into depression, but something an antidepressant couldn't keep me from doing.

I sighed and pulled my sleeves back. In the mirror I saw an underweight girl with dim violet eyes. A dark purple hung under my eyes providing ugly color to my unusually paler skin. I picked up one thing that continued to ruin my life and I cried. The only thing I could control in my life was ruining it.

This time, it was different.

This time, I'd end it all.

<~>~<~>~<~>

I woke up with a sudden jolt. The room was dark, but I could see a dim light peeking out from underneath a door. A faint beeping filled the room, but I'm sure it was all in my head. I tried to swallow, and I felt my throat was unusually dry.

I tried to get out of my bed, but I soon realized that it wasn't my bed. A thin dress covered my body, accompanied by cheap cotton sheets rubbing against the bare skin of my legs. I moved my arms again only to be restrained by chords and IVs.

The beeping picked up in speed, and I realized that it wasn't in my head. It was a heart monitor. That was just a dream, wasn't it? I hadn't actually tried to commit suicide, did I?

The door bursted open and the lights flickered on, blinding me momentarily. I blinked a few times so my eyes could adjust to the harsh light. When I removed my hands from my eyes, nurses stood around me, along with Aaron.

I sighed in relief that it wasn't actually real. It had been a dream and nothing more. My heartbeat slowed a bit while the noises came at me all at once. The nurses asking me if I was okay, and Aaron yelling for them to leave.

When the last nurse scurried out, my heartbeat was regular. I leaned back on the hospital bed as I just looked at Aaron. I opened my mouth to speak, but I hadn't a single idea what to say.

"Water," I croaked instead. My voice was barely audible, and I wondered how long it had been since the convicting. Aaron simply swallowed as he went to retrieve me a glass of water. He returned to me with a glass cup that had condensation forming on the sides.

"Don't drink too much," he warned. "You might get sick at your stomach."

I took a little sip of the water, and relief washed over me. "You forget I had medical training, love," I said fondly.

He smiled a little, but a frown was still etched on his face. "Sorry, Elly," he murmured quietly.

"Don't apologize," I smiled meekly. "Are you going to tell me what happened?"

He looked at me with worry and fondness in his eyes. He took m hands in his, my small pale hands engulfed in his. "Elisa, you had a heart attack."

Hey y'all

Special update because it's my birthday

Yay

Same birthday as Elisa
LOLOLOLOLO