Chapter 10

The Halloween Ball was growing closer, and everyone knew not to bother the maids that were making dresses. Especially me. I had to specially order feathers, because there was no way in hell I was going to use fake, cheap feathers on the Queen's dress.

I was making wings for America's angel costume. I had finished everything except for the wings, the mask, and picking out her jewelry. Jewelry shouldn't be a problem, and I already had a design set for the mask.

It was just the damn wings.

The feathers kept coming off, and I finally found a way to sew them on while still making them fluffy and pretty. After hours of hunching over the work table, I was almost finished with the left side.

"Hey, Lia?" Janet asked.

"Yeah, Jan?" I sighed.

"I'll be right back; I'm just making deliveries. Will you be ok by yourself?" She asked worriedly.

"Janet, I love you, but I've spent a week's worth of late nights in here alone on this costume. I'll be fine," I said assuringly.

"Alright," she smiled. She took a shake of her head before heading out, leaving me to the wings.

I put it aside for a break and focused on the mask. I hand-painted it and put the feathers on it, and I was grateful that the painting classes Mother made me take were finally paying off.

When that was finished, I started back on the wings while the mask dried. I stretched my back and pulled my hair back again before setting off to work on it. The upper part had to be bigger, since that was where muscles had to be in a wing. Who cares if the wings were biologically correct? This was taking forever!

It was almost time for my shift to be over, and I was halfway done. I pushed on for the last few feathers, for I'd be damned if these wings weren't done by today. I still hadn't even gotten close to finishing my costume.

I was going to be a peacock, I decided. I made a ballgown out of faux tail feathers draped over the back of the dress and falling all the way to the floor, providing a two inch train. I was finished with the whole skirt, just not.... anything else.

And the ball was in exactly one week.

I put down the finished product of the wing and moved on to my costume. I molded my mask of black metal to fit my face. I never liked the mask that covered my full face, so I put holes in the metal, forming intricate designs.

When that was done, I checked the clock. I had worked three hours over my shift, which ended at four. I looked at my dress longingly and dismissed it for the night. I exited the dressmaking room while I stuffed my hair back in my plain cap.

I ventured down into the kitchen, which was bustling about with people trying to rush out dessert to the Elite dinner. I brewed my coffee and tried to stay out of the way. I got my cup down from the cabinet and poured my fill.

I spotted Landon across the room directing orders. I caught his glance, and offered him a small wave before leaving, which he returned.

Since I was done working for the night, I decided to go to the library. I roamed the rows of ancient books, taking in their familiar scent from the yellowed pages. I picked up a book that seemed interesting, and it was an introduction to Gaelic, an ancient Irish language.

I wondered if Landon or Charlie spoke Gaelic. It seemed interesting enough, so I kept it. I could pick up another language, why not? I put the book down under my name and left the library.

I went up to the music room and switched the lock, so I wouldn't be disturbed. I sat at the piano and played a few scales, goofing around a little bit. Then, I began playing a song.

I stayed focused this time, only focusing on my voice. I loved singing, and this time it was just for fun and to release frustration. My heart, soul, voice, and fingers were in sync as I went through the entire song, and a silence of contentment filled the room.

Until the door opened, and I almost had a heart attack.

"What the hell, Landon! You really scared me," I giggled.

"Wow, Lia. Quite a tongue you've got there," he teased as he clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. I narrowed my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him childishly before taking a sip of my coffee that I had grown to love.

"You've got a beautiful voice," he complimented.

"Thanks," I said. "How's your mom?" I asked.

He sat back in his chair that he had pulled up. I leaned my back on the piano and faced him. "She's been better," he said solemnly.

"I'm sorry, Landon."

"It's not your fault," he said, shrugging it off like the optimistic kind of guy he is. "How's work been?"

"Stressful," I groaned. "I've been tasked with making America's dress for the Halloween Ball," I said with false poshness in my voice. "And even better, I still have to make my own."

"Wait a minute, you're going to the Halloween Ball?" He asked incredulously.

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's great and all, but costumes are a piece of work."

"I still think you'd look better with an egg in your hair," he picked. I kicked his shin, which just made him laugh all the harder.

"Trust me, you're never going to see that sight," I replied. "But the coffee in your hair looked lovely with your blonde hair. Really, it did."

"Well, I almost liked you better as a brunette," he joked. I was caught off guard by that one, but I recovered quickly. It was probably time to dye my roots again.

"Just blonde for me," I smiled fakely.

"You've been working hard, yeah?"

"That's an understatement," I scoffed.

"Well, some of the maids and the kitchen staff will be in the gardens to take a night off. It's a bit of a party," he said, propping his feet up on the piano stool next to me.

"When?"

"Hallow's Eve. It was a tradition for my family back in the Ireland, and I thought it would be fun to bring a bit of it here. Lots of Irish music, dancing, drinking, that sort of thing."

"Well, I'll be up for two of those."

"Well, drinking leads to either of the other two options and possibly more," he said playfully.

"Shut up," I smacked his shoulder. "I was excluding drinking."

"I don't know, Lia. I think seeing you under influence would be a sight to see. I wonder what secrets you'd tell me, because you know, the truth comes out then."

"Some things are better left unsaid."