Chapter 18

Every day had a tired routine for Danielle and me. I hadn't seen Aaron for what felt like ages, but in reality I saw him during almost every meal. I had been so busy with catching up on studies and the Yuletide Ball that I had no time for dates with him.

I was ordering the decorations for all of the Christmas trees we would have. Danielle had convinced me to make this more of a Christmas celebration, and I reluctantly agreed despite the diversity of religion amongst the guests. Over ninety-five percent of the guests, however, celebrated Christmas.

This left me to order all of the sixty foot tall evergreen trees from northern Illèa, since Angeles deemed real Christmas trees unimportant here. There was only the best for this occasion, so there would be fresh trees, wreaths, and decorations.

The inside trees would be flocked with false snow, which would also be floating amongst the room. The material was safe to step on since it dissolved without creating a mess, simulating a winter wonderland minus the freezing weather. The decor in the ballroom was more of things like golden crowns, crosses, candles, candy canes, and other things that were regal.

The outside trees were decorated with more rustic accents like pinecones, holly plants, mistletoe, and other colorful items. They would go better with the greenery of Angeles and the chilled wind, yet it would feel like Christmas without the snow. I just wasn't sure how many Christmas trees could go outside.

I sighed in frustration and buried my head in my red dress's skirts. The jumbled numbers scrawled on the ordering papers in front of me gave me a pounding headache, and I couldn't bear to look at the stupid form any longer.

"Lia?" A warm voice asked from behind me. I turned and saw Landon in casual attire, similar to what he wore to the Halloween party. "Er, Elisa?"

"Either is fine," I smiled. He offered me a hand and pulled me up. I dusted off my dress before looking back at him. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," he replied. "Charlie's been wondering where you've been. Had to explain that whole lot to him."

I felt a light blush color my face before I snuffed it. I gave him a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't think I was that important."

"Oh, come on Li- Elisa. You lit up the room, practically. Heck, I think chef Loki was going to ask you on a date, as well."

"Loki?" I asked with a wrinkled nose. Loki was nice, yes, but I never really suspected him.

"Aye," he replied with a suppressed laugh.

"Well, if I remember correctly, you asked me on a date also?"

He groaned. "Lia, please don't bring that up," he said with his head in his hands. "Oh, damn, I meant Elisa."

"You're fine," I giggled. "Lia has grown on me."

"Well, I'd imagine," he smirked sarcastically. "What are you doing anyway?"

"Ordering Christmas trees," I sighed. "I'm in charge of the party for Christmas, and I'm seriously not sure how many Christmas trees will fit outside."

"You want to do something else?" He asked with a scrunched nose.

"Such are not opportunities of a Princess or Queen," I joked.

"I guess it's a good thing you're not going to be a Princess, then, isn't it?" He smiled.

I scoffed at him and widened my eyes. "Landon!"

"Elisa," he fired back. He offered his hand to me, and I took it as he pulled me up. He was surprisingly strong. I wasn't sure how you built muscles from baking, but whatever he was doing, he needed to keep it up.